PDA

View Full Version : Particles going through geometry?

terencemace
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm trying out ICE particles, and I've come across something odd when I try to have them bounce of an object, in this case a cube.

About 90% of the particles bounce correctly off the surface, but the rest pass right through. I'm using the Bounce off Surface node. Nothing complicated. A few thousand sphere particles and a gravity force. I'm stumped!

Thanks!

T

ChrisBore
09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
has your bounce geo got any thickness? if your using a plane, then try a cube instead there is more chance of the collision detection picking up whether or not the particle is still in the geo or not.

EDIT, just reread your post, now I know you used a cube!! have you tried adding more segments?

hope this helps.

Chris

terencemace
09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Chris. I will try adding more segments. We'll see if that helps.

terencemace
09-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Nope, that didn't work. Also tried using a surface mesh instead. Same thing.

Jettatore
09-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Instead of using Simulate Particles (it's a node plugged directly into the ICE tree)... Replace it with Simulate Rigid Bodies and it should work. You won't have to worry about adding more segments either, unless you need them for a specific reason.

If it still doesn't work, I would suspect your creating particles in the wrong spot, meaning some of them are being created without a chance to collide properly. Or a problem, which shouldn't occur if some of them are colliding, would be if you didn't have the Simulate Particles or a Simulate Rigid Bodies plugged in last on the ICE Tree, it normally should be in the last spot so it has a chance to calculate all of your forces and collisions before "simulation". Only other thing I can think of is that your camera angle is deceiving and they aren't going "through" the surface but just missing it entirely and going past the sides of your collision object instead of hitting it.

terencemace
09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks! I'll check that out.

T

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.