PDA

View Full Version : Animate vs Studio?

Nonproductive
08-11-2003, 02:56 AM
Aside from the render engine - what are the other differences between Animate and Studio? Anyone have any samples from the render engine? How is it's quality? speed?

I'm a little leary and waiting to see how things look once Animate 4 has been released - but debating whether it's worth upgrading all the way to studio if the feature list turns out to be fully implemented.

Thanks in advance!

Wegg
08-12-2003, 10:37 PM
In what little time I have spent with Stuio, I was able to get UVs working on my mesh, really great GI and some really spiffy procedural shaders.

It doesn't have shadow maps yet but thats really the only thing I could see as something that would hold it back from being fully production ready.

If there were ever a time to upgrade. . . now would be it.

tjnyc
08-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Hey Wegg,

Do you fill that the render is stable enough from what you have gathered so far and are all the features that are listed on pmG's site there, like Volumetric Translucency and Subsurface scattering?
I know it is still a little early but any info on Render would be great.

Thanks,

- T

Wegg
08-13-2003, 07:06 PM
You know I have never once needed those things you mention. I don't really see them as "nessisary" for a functional production ready renderer. BUT. . . I'm sure if I ever did need them, they would be there and would work as well as everything else in this pretty kick ass app. ..

tjnyc
08-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Wegg
You know I have never once needed those things you mention.

Funny, neither have I. :)

I don't really see them as "nessisary" for a functional production ready renderer.

Do you believe M:Render is production ready then?

Thanks for the info.

Wegg
08-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Its really really close. Its just messing up on certain files right now. It has a look that I really love and Lyle is very quick about making sure the bugs we find are patched up quickly. (brought to you by the department of redundancy department.)

And. . . if it ever craps out on you. . . it plugs into almost any other renderer on the market. . . so you can't really go wrong.

FKMaster
08-13-2003, 07:36 PM
messiah is very good for animation and character rendering..... :thumbsup:
and for complex scenes/environment ?
maybe there are better rendering packages
....in the moment.... ;)

tjnyc
08-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys.

jamination
08-14-2003, 12:21 AM
i'm a little worried that it will be production ready for lightwave users shortly and as far as max, maya, etc. goes i just don't know. i want to use the renderer, but as of now there are no way to apply submaterials to objects coming from max. i really like the idea of modelling in any program, importing the objects into m:studio, animating and rendering in m:studio. i have not got an answer on when this will be possible.

phil harbath

Nonproductive
08-14-2003, 12:58 AM
It has a look that I really love

Can you provide and quick renders to show off the quality or features of the render engine? Doesn't need to be any fancy geometry or scene - primitives and planes would be more than fine.
How are soft shadows? grainy or smooth? Does GI flicker when animated?

Thanks Wegg! I consider your input valuable as I trust you to give it straight, good or bad.

rnb2
08-14-2003, 01:01 AM
I posted a couple of render tests here last night - take a look through the subjects, it shouldn't have scrolled down too far yet.

Qslugs
08-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Janimation, I think there was a bug with some of the importers. The only one I have available is the Max importer. The others got pulled the last min. However there appears to be plugins for all the latest round of programs;Max5, LW7ish, Maya 5 and C4d 8. We'll have to wait a bit till they fix them for whatever reason. I don't think they're playing favorites though if that is what you're asking.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.