PDA

View Full Version : Car Modeling Help Really struggling!

DavidMansaray
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Im fairly new to maya and fairly new to the forum. Im finding it dificult to get on with car modeling which is my focus at the moment. I'm familiar with many of the tools in maya and the interface and how everything works. i pretty much know all that i have to do from start to finish but i dont seem to get the results i want. Im really finding it difficult to decide the right place to put the initial curves. ive watched doesons of tutorias and i can follow along ok but seem to go blank when it comes to me doing it by myself any tips from you experienced folks?

Thanks in advance for any responces

ronviers
09-25-2009, 04:48 AM
Reference images, even the worst ones, contain a lot of information. Unfortunately, it is often misleading, or at least not straight forward to use. One of the things you have to learn is reconciling what appears to be contradictory information. One tip is to take distances in one part of an image to override what appears to be represented in another. If you watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oYBapxezZQ) video, beginning at about 4:30 you will see that the information used to complete the revolve profile for the threads is pulled from the front of the image by using linear curves as guides. These guides are then moved aside, the profile constructed, then spliced into the rest of the profile - the resulting profile has little resemblance to the threads in the image. There are other tricks but the important thing is to keep in mind that reference images can be misleading.

Good luck,

Ron

DavidMansaray
09-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Thank you so much for your advice that really helps! and the video is good i just wish there was sound instead of having to read. what i want to perfect is knowing what toolls to use best when. I know what is available to me i just need help understanding a bit more when what should be used. do you know of any good methods to getting myself in the correct mindframe?

the cocacola bottle looks like something i may want to attempt. a smaller challenge with lots of different techniques involved with its creation. let me know what you think

thanks again for your responce, much appreciated

ronviers
09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm just learning this myself, but I ask myself; what is the least I can do, what is the minimum possible to make this surface. That sounds obvious but it is not always easy to determine. Then once I make that determination then I try to select the tools that will do it the fastest.

Btw, I think the coke bottle is a good idea - a car is just so much to start with. But maybe you could try it without looking at mine until you finish yours. That way you will not fall into the tutorial trap of monkey-see monkey-do.

ronviers
09-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey DavidMansaray it just occurred to me that I might be able to save you a little time by posting the reference images I used for the coke bottle. I put them in the same folder as the renders - here (http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/CokeBottle#). If they are not suitable, then let me know and I will send you either the raws or large jpgs for you to work with.

Don't expect a cakewalk - this is a deceptively complicated surface - good luck:-)

DavidMansaray
09-26-2009, 06:43 PM
thank you so much i really appreciate!

do you use aim or msn so we could chat some more maybe?

ronviers
09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
I will pm you with the details.

Carl25
09-27-2009, 11:20 PM
i'd say get a blueprint from blue-prints.com

And that should help the base A LOT, but once you start modelling more, i find blueprints to work against you

practice

DavidMansaray
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
thanks for the advice.
Im already using blueprints for that website. what i need to do is Practice more and train my eye to replicate what i see and trust my judgment a bit more

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.