PDA

View Full Version : Pancakes (fluid test with high viscosity)

thecayflow
09-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Hi, there. This is my first work posted here :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi40-s9K7lQ

I tried to get a high viscous fluid using Realflow. Deal with huge values of viscosity can be a tricky task. Please, C & C will be highly appreciated: I need your feedback, comments, etc. Thank you.

Maya, Maxwell, Realflow, Photoshop and AE.

A few images from the w.i.p. (a close-up to the pancakes themselves, a zoom at the milkshake trying an SSS I finally never used, and the initial set up:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/3934402161_6d7b50d3a5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3935201264_f868c22499_o.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z151/thecayflow/attachment.jpg

HocusPocus
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Nice!....
you got a really cool fluid here....
i dont like the way the fluid ends... it seems a litlle light, but the entire scene is very good!
Not only the fluid simulation, but render, shaders, lights...
Very good work!
Congrats!

mehdianim
09-25-2009, 04:04 AM
very convincing !
Now pour it over something that would require it to be a SFX, pouring it over pancakes can be done in real life.
How about over a crowd of panicked people :D !! or a city skyline...

thiagolima
09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey Victor, looks really good and convincing! well done!

grury
09-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Pretty cool sim and rendering. Very nice sticky feeling to it.

I do agree with HocusPocus, the end feels a bit light, also feels strange the way it just stops pouring so sudden. Also the beginning looks a bit weird in the way it shoots into the scene.

tomaya
09-25-2009, 11:09 PM
that's a nice RF work man ! , it works ! Of course , us and only us can see the strange
mesh at the end , and then what ? It works ! Very good RF job ! The clients are happy ?
no ?

ps : carefull with the viscosity , all the presets have changed since the V 2 , so ,20 or plus
became dangerous ...

For me : excellent Work (--client---agency---production---)must be happy ...

T

thecayflow
09-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Guys, THANK YOU ALL for the comments: itīs really important for me to listen your feedback and take them all in consideration to improve my skills, I really do appreciate all of them :-) Definitely, the end of the pouring is the weak part of the scene, next time Iīll focus on a smoother end, and try to achieve a 'fillament' shape.

Actually, this was a personal work to deal with high viscosity values, only with learning purposes (I absolutely agree tom: if the final result is convincing for the client, then you can be happy), so in this time I was my own 'client' and very happy to learn about it with your comments and expertise. Thank you all again!

grury
09-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey Victor, could you share your viscosity settings, also what internal/external pressure did you use.

Cheers

Daemonecles
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
It's pretty good, if you're looking for a VERY cold type of syrup. However in my experience most syrup will start spreading out much quicker than what you have here. It's a bit TOO high on the viscosity. I love the rendering though, looks pretty nice.

thecayflow
09-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Thank you Daemonecles! :-) ...syrup is not a very usual thing where iīm living, so I bought a few different brands in an imported food shop. I realized that depending on the type/brand there are a few close to honey... with large and thin fillaments, but the real mapple syrup is not so viscous, it may release little droplets. Itīs really interesting.

Hey Victor, could you share your viscosity settings, also what internal/external pressure did you use.
Sure, but I donīt know if itīs going to be useful: please note, depending on the scale youīre using, you can obtain different results with the same values. For this scene I used scale = 0.25. Int press= 1. Ext press= 8. Visc= 190. Remember crank up the Min and Max substeps or else the software will crash (i used min=333 max=1499). cheers

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2009, 01:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.