PDA

View Full Version : New to fluids in Maya 2008

hockey1237
09-23-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out how to do water on a current project. The problems are, I'm used to Maya 2009 which has nparticles, but the office I'm in still uses 2008 which doesn't; and I can't just use an ocean shader or anything (as far as I know) because I'm animating a small sail boat which has a cockpit below waterlever, so the ocean plane cuts through the boat. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do, or where I can find a tutorial to help?

I'm desperate here.

lostparanoia
09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
If you have access to Realflow, I would probably go for that if you need really realistic water. It's in allmost all cases alot quicker than fluids as well. Otherwise, you could allways map transparency to your ocean shader on the part of your water plane that intersects with the boat.

lostparanoia
09-23-2009, 10:27 PM
if you wanna make it a bit cooler still, you can use a displaceD deformer (download from highend3d.com) to deform your watersurface around the boat to make it look more like it's actually interacting with the water. Add some particles on top of that and I think you should be more or less home free for a quick, not so demanding production. ;)

hockey1237
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of the displaceD deformer, but how exactly would that work? It seems like I'd have to animate a texture that matched with the boats movement.

hockey1237
09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Actually, i've looked at it a bit more, and i guess i could just project the map as a texture and than attach the projection to the boat. Any thoughts?

lostparanoia
09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
well, if the boat is moving forward, I'd probably paint a map to make the plane bulge up in fron of the boat and make a swirl behind it... well, more or less make a height map for how the water would move around the boat. if you wanna be real high end, you could animate the height map as well, but I think the ocean shader's own animation together with the particles is probably enough for most productions.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.