PDA

View Full Version : Surf's up wave project

eriktier
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi,

About a month ago I started an 'internal' project in Houdini. The goal was/is to recreate a fully animatable and artistically tunable breaking wave system, similar to the one used for the awesome waves in the animation film Surf's Up. I started posted progress on this project on one forum and then another, so I ended up setting up a blog where I post updates on the project. I hope it's not a problem to link to that blog in stead of posting updates directly in the forum as it takes too much time duplicating posts in multiple forums...

Anyway, would love to hear thoughts and critiques on this project: http://dvfx.dutcheffectsfactory.com

Cheers,
Erik

eriktier
10-04-2009, 07:59 AM
I've posten another update on my blog, with a new 'backlit sunset' look.

Cheers,
Erik

anthonymcgrath
10-05-2009, 10:55 PM
great work Erik - this is coming along nicely - added your blog to my faves page so I'll be sure to check in on its progress.

some small details to consider. Would be nice to start seeing the particles upon where the wave collapses over - this will help you figure out how much you will hide and what can be done.
Also - bear in mind some slight spray coming off the highest portion of the wave would help.

the shader is nice and fairly varied in colour and texture but I would make it more of a blurry reflection through the mesh.

great work tho :D

eriktier
10-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks! It's a lot of fun to work on. I'm currently setting (or better resetting) up the lipspray particle system. After that more particles will follow for whitewater and mist, etc... The shader is fully customizable... you can set its parameters for 5 different zones on the wave, so you could basically make it do anything you like and tune it further using a nice set of render passes in a comp (again with masks for the different zones).

Cheers,
Erik

anthonymcgrath
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I would really like to get my grubby mittens on houdini - it looks incredibly powerful. Theres a chap in our offices whose very good with it and uses python too with it and he fires out some really clever stuff with it.

great work - looking forward to seeing more with it. Do you plan on adding anything in the water? A boat for example being toppled maybe? :)

eriktier
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I've Houdini to death ;) I've got it for about 2 months or so now and it seriously rocks! And the peeps at SideFX are really great to work with as well. There's some python in my wave system as well and more coming up, although I mostly use it for the setup of the wave system. I'm thinking of doing some smart python stuff to make it very easy to set up slices of particle systems so I can generate them in parallel as they currently only use a single thread (and thus CPU/Core). I currently do this manually which is a pain.
But first I'll be posting a first render with my completely new setup for lip spray, which is looking promising :)

Cheers,
Erik

I would really like to get my grubby mittens on houdini - it looks incredibly powerful. Theres a chap in our offices whose very good with it and uses python too with it and he fires out some really clever stuff with it.

great work - looking forward to seeing more with it. Do you plan on adding anything in the water? A boat for example being toppled maybe? :)

eriktier
10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I've just posted another update on my blog: http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com with a first render of the new lip spray particle system.

Cheers,
Erik

anthonymcgrath
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
nice little effect on the lip mate - I'd vary it a bit more so theres some coming off lower portions of the wave.
also small detail and not very noticeable in motion but you can see where the uv texturing repeats as the wave rolls

good update tho - looking forward to seeing this with a more surfer camera (less static and robotic and more 'handheld' ) :cool:

eriktier
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks! There is more detail in the lower parts but its a bit hard to see in these lighting conditions ;) I know about the foam texture, I slapped that one together quickly some time ago to get a good view on the effect of my 'pref' setup (the way the strip of wave combines with the overall ocean surface with integrated UV's). I really need to fix that last seam to make the texture completely seamless, as its really distracting currently.

Cheers,
Erik

eriktier
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
I've updated my blog with a new update on multi-pass and some fixes...

eriktier
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I've just posted a monster update to my blog (http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com) on a new white water shader I wrote from scratch that combines tons of control while keeping data sizes relatively low.

Cheers,
Erik

eriktier
10-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Yesterday, I posted an update on my blog with a first animation of the 'white water explosion': http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com

Cheers,
Erik

anthonymcgrath
10-22-2009, 10:36 AM
nice update mate - just a few things I'm sure your aware of (but its nice to have a checklist I think lol) ..

frm50 - just to the right of the centre of screen you can see the texture in the water mesh repeat - any way you can fix this?

frm90 - reflection in the water especially as it collapses feels too much like clear glass - can you get softer refraction through the water maybe?

particles - great work overall altho I think there should be a bit of a 'softer' edge to the lip of the wave - maybe a few more particles that precede that lip could be worth a try?

I think some sort of self shadowing or ambient occlusion would really help it - when the wave topples over and crashes on itself thats where it is certainly noticeable that the AO is missing. Maybe the renderer is doing that but it could stand to be enhanced if so especially a darker area in the tube.

these are just details and I'm aware they could be tough to fix but just thought I'd post up my thoughts - overall its a superb wave effect mate and really captures the same feel they got on surfs up :thumbsup:

eriktier
10-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks a ton for the detailed feedback! I'm actually working on fixing some of these :)

Cheers,
Erik

nice update mate - just a few things I'm sure your aware of (but its nice to have a checklist I think lol) ..

frm50 - just to the right of the centre of screen you can see the texture in the water mesh repeat - any way you can fix this?

frm90 - reflection in the water especially as it collapses feels too much like clear glass - can you get softer refraction through the water maybe?

particles - great work overall altho I think there should be a bit of a 'softer' edge to the lip of the wave - maybe a few more particles that precede that lip could be worth a try?

I think some sort of self shadowing or ambient occlusion would really help it - when the wave topples over and crashes on itself thats where it is certainly noticeable that the AO is missing. Maybe the renderer is doing that but it could stand to be enhanced if so especially a darker area in the tube.

these are just details and I'm aware they could be tough to fix but just thought I'd post up my thoughts - overall its a superb wave effect mate and really captures the same feel they got on surfs up :thumbsup:

eriktier
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi,

Just posted a new update on my blog: http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com. I'm starting to get quite far along on making the wave system a full fledged tool. This post is a first in a series on what the tool looks like and how its used to generate breaking waves.

Cheers,
Erik

anthonymcgrath
11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
hi Erik
yeah this is looking like quite a flexible bit of work - its good that you used the same kind of control system as the guys did on surfs up too using controllers on lofted curves - nice work mate :)

anthonymcgrath
11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I found a .pdf from the guys who worked on surfs up (its a siggraph paper outlining all the techniques they used in the film) and I've had a go at making my own wave too using the same control system - quite good fun actually :)

eriktier
11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
I have that pdf. Used it for inspiration more than once. Yeah, making systems like this is a lot of fun.

Erik

I found a .pdf from the guys who worked on surfs up (its a siggraph paper outlining all the techniques they used in the film) and I've had a go at making my own wave too using the same control system - quite good fun actually :)

eriktier
11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi,

After a busy time, I finally got around to doing some more work on my wave system and posted an update on my blog: http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com

Cheers,
Erik

anthonymcgrath
11-24-2009, 03:38 PM
nice update there Erik - I haven't had a full read but I certainly will when I get home tonight. I've been working on my own at present which I'll try n post on my website tonight - it doesn't have the flexibility your houdini tool does but for maya it isn't bad I guess. Theres an interesting approach to your wave edge foam there that I've done something similar with using duplicated curves in maya that follow the lofted surface so thats quite cool but I need to figure out a way to find the intersection point where the mesh folds in on itself so I can distribute particles from that area and create impact/crash effect waterspray.
great work tho :)

eriktier
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks! I find the intersection of the tip of the lip and the trough of the wave using a ray operation. First I create the tip of the lip and the trough as separate objects by deleting the other parts. Then I fire rays from the lip part to the trough part and copy the approapriate attributes from the lip to the trough. These attributes then drive the scattering of points on the trough only where the lip would intersect. These points get force, velocity, ... attributes from the lip this way and are used as the particle source for the big whitewater explosion particle system.

I'd really like to see what you're building!

Cheers,
Erik

nice update there Erik - I haven't had a full read but I certainly will when I get home tonight. I've been working on my own at present which I'll try n post on my website tonight - it doesn't have the flexibility your houdini tool does but for maya it isn't bad I guess. Theres an interesting approach to your wave edge foam there that I've done something similar with using duplicated curves in maya that follow the lofted surface so thats quite cool but I need to figure out a way to find the intersection point where the mesh folds in on itself so I can distribute particles from that area and create impact/crash effect waterspray.
great work tho :)

eriktier
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I finally got around to posting on the shader in the tool and had to fix some newly introduced bug as well...

(http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com)

Cheers,
Erik

eriktier
12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi,

In preparation for getting into discussing the displacement part of my wave tool, I first wanted to create a better solution for the basic wave displacements on top of the ocean surface and wave surface. So I turned to Gerstner...

http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com/?p=253

Cheers,
Erik

eriktier
12-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Here's my last update for this year. I got some nice results from a test render of my Gerstner based displacement shader.

http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com/?p=262

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Erik

eriktier
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
After a way too long time, I've finally been able to update my blog on the wave system :). Gerstner based displacements and 'lip curl' are the subject.

http://blog.dutcheffectsfactory.com/?p=290

Cheers,
Erik

CGOutcast
02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Some pretty good progress so far, I would suggest letting the spray particles last a bit longer. The spray usually lasts anywhere from 3-4 seconds on real waves, I shot a video using a hd waterproof camera and i loved catching the spray as the surfers rolled on by, makes it a lot more beautiful if you ask me. Of course I don't know if you're going for your own style so this is just my opinion :) keep up the good work.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.