PDA

View Full Version : space environment: Supernova

X-WARRIOR
08-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi guys,

I need some critics on this pic.

I made it in about 2hours using Blender 3d and a bit of prost processing...

// They expected this to happen..and it happened...now they lost their home and they are in seach of a new one..They are simply facing their destiny //
-->http://theexodus.battletechmodproductions.com/xwarrior/bigbangsmall.jpg<-- (http://theexodus.battletechmodproductions.com/xwarrior/bigbang.jpg) (click to see the larger pic)

It's for a mini-contest, the subject is Big Bang

I'll be waiting for some critics :D

Keiyentai
08-10-2003, 09:51 PM
ok it's looks cool but the atmopshere on the planet shoud be more affected especialy if it is being pelted with astoroids that size. It's cool though. Just change the Atmosphere a little more

Emre
08-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Hello,

It's a nice work.

But about the concept;
if it's a big bang, there should be absolutely nothing other than the explosion.nothing existed before and during early times of big-bang.i might be wrong,but i think i'm not.(well, maybe there was another universe before the b-b and it collapsed into itself and became a b-b.)(and maybe it's always like that.i wonder if our b-b is the first one.or 2. or 3.? but what made it a b-b if it's the first one? there should be no first b-b.Huh...i'd better go sleep.)

:)

X-WARRIOR
08-10-2003, 11:53 PM
lol tx for the comments I'll work on the atmosphere

Emre: well the subject was Big Bang..but I made a supernova cause it make a BIG bang when it explose ;) hehe

tx for the comments :D

here's another try:
http://theexodus.battletechmodproductions.com/xwarrior/bigbang2.jpg
Better?

Keiyentai
08-11-2003, 12:47 AM
Yes. Better now :D looks like the planet is coming apart now. So what cuased the sun to go boom> Old age or something else?

X-WARRIOR
08-11-2003, 01:41 AM
a proton star hit it ;)

http://theexodus.battletechmodproductions.com/xwarrior/bigbang3.jpg

better?

Dave Black
08-11-2003, 03:45 AM
The huge white blob is sorta taking away from the composition. Don't really know how i'd fix that, but it's really distracting.

-3DZ

:D

X-WARRIOR
08-11-2003, 04:40 AM
This is kinda my Final pic..except if I find some more time to tweak it..i tried to light up what was around the star so the star don't look as bright as in the other pics...hope it's better

http://theexodus.battletechmodproductions.com/xwarrior/bigbang5.jpg

Keiyentai
08-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Sweet. The planet is going to be nuked! heheheh :D awesome.

playmesumch00ns
08-12-2003, 01:26 PM
I like the effect you've got on the planets, but I think the white exploding star thing is just too white. Perhaps you could put in some more detail like turbulent firey patterns rather than just a big white blob.

And I'd lose the lens flare as well, it's distracting

}-{obbes
08-13-2003, 04:36 AM
I agree, make the star blazing res, oranges, yellows, and white, not just a big fat ball of OMG MY EYES!!

X-WARRIOR
08-13-2003, 05:02 AM
ok ok, I'll make some change and post an update later!

Tx for the replies, I really appreciate them!

Ex Tessera
08-13-2003, 07:49 AM
More particles that are smaller, and keep the planet a sphere, discolored on the side of the explosion. On that scale, any rocks blasted off it would be too small to even see, they'd look like dust clouds. Then maybe add a bump map for mountains, and any surface that can see the light (these are the surfaces hit by the blast) should be discolored. Make the line between the discolored and not discolored streaked and not straight, kinda like a blast.

Your newest one was my favorite.

sketchyjay
08-13-2003, 06:02 PM
I agree with adding a little yellow in the blast. I've studied paintings were they made the sun yellow and added a white center and it had the same feel of the glare the sun gives off. BLend the white going into yellow then into the blue you are using. Since it is a super nova i would stick to the brighter end of colors (white-yellow-blue)

Also what is that flare next to the planet?

totally unrelated but might be fun is to put lights like there are cities on the dark side of the planet. just a wimsical thought and unneccessary.

another thing you might want to do is add swirls or something along the edge of the blast. Like streams or curls you see on images of the sun's surface. As long as the nova is the center of the piece add something visually interesting to it.

J

betelgeuse
08-27-2003, 02:48 PM
I think you have to decide whether you're going to portray a supernova accurately or take some artistic license. I say this because some of the suggestions that have been made might make it more visually interesting, but are not realistic. The suggestion of swirls along the blast edge, for example, is something you just wouldn't see. Realize that a supernova blast is a conversion of a sizable chunk of the star's mass into energy. These things can shine more brilliantly than the combined stars of the rest of the entire galaxy for a brief time. This is an explosion almost beyond comprehension.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.