PDA

View Full Version : Depth of field adjustment over time?

glenjobi
09-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi guys,

I'm not entirely sure which category this query falls into, so I hope this might be the one, and any assistance in this area woould be much appreciated!

What I would love to know how to do is;

In the final animation render, transitioning/fading from a focused object in the foreground, to an object in the back ground? or visa versa?

Software Maya or 3D Max, mental ray renderer.

Thanks guys, really keen on reading some methods towards this problem.

Kind regards,

Glen

sundialsvc4
09-24-2009, 03:49 AM
This technique is called a focus pull.

One of the many channels of information that you should be able to get out of your initial 3D shot files (in any package...) is the f-stop of the camera that was used, and the position of the focus point. You can use this information to modulate blurring on the various input layers based upon their z-depth. Exactly how you instruct the computer to do this will of course depend on your software.

A topic you may need to re-review is called set-driven keys. As you set this shot up in the compositing process, the amount of blur will be algorithmically related to the camera parameters.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2009, 03:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.