PDA

View Full Version : Object:Contact Lenses Scene

Ringas
08-10-2003, 08:31 PM
I would appreciate some texturing and lighting C&C on the following image. It is modeled in Rhinoceros and rendered in passes in MAX 5 using Brazil. The passes are composited in Digital Fusion along with some specular bloom, DOF and film grain.

Image:
http://www.ringas.netfirms.com/images/Contact_Lenses.jpg

Wireframe:
http://www.ringas.netfirms.com/images/Contact_Lenses_Wire.gif

Thank you in advance,

Tassos Ringas
National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A.)
Faculty of Architecture
archigrid@hotmail.com

Tuqui-tuqui
08-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Hey Ringas... we, or at least I, can't see your images (red x). Please provide a link for both the wireframe and shaded

pigwater
08-11-2003, 05:57 AM
they don't show for me either but i followed the links

how about for the tiles .... 50% grey, add some noise to taste, and gausian it out a little to smooth it .. a little motion blur then kinda gives it that clay thing happenin

i'd make the grout a little wider and noise the funk out of it

maybe just me but i'd put a point light in it (if it's a still) right out of view at 1 o'clock shadows off at 75 % with limited range and see what would happen

jellyfish
08-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Not much to say about the objects themselves, you pretty much have them spot one. I used to use those contacts, remember that stuff (spin spin for 30 seconds :) ). Very interesting to see the label in Greek!

However, the contacts case lid seems boring, I feel it needs something, maybe it's too dark and needs to be lighter, or choose a color. I know that that's the actual color of the plastic, but it doesn't sit well compositionally with the bottle and tiles.

Perhaps, like pigwater said, you should desaturate the tiles. Try, instead of 50% gray, a nice beige or light yellow.

I would also suggest you tweak the light color to indicate interior lighting, which is much more yellow and has a dropoff. You could probably get away with two or even three shadow casters, some bathrooms have several light sources (ie window, mirror/vanity light, overhead light), and this is one instance where various shades of light and shadow would be appropriate.

I'm not sure I agree with pig about the grout width, I like this width, it's more practical for a bathroom environment (wider grout is a pain to clean, so most bathrooms have narrow grout lines), but I think it is too perfect. With such thin lines, any lumps in the grout would make a bump and thicker line between tiles, so maybe you should make some variation to the height/width of the grout for realism. Also, your tiles are too perfectly flat, because when tiles are fired the glaze moves out to the edges due to surface tension, so the actual surface of each tile has a very slight ridge on the edge, sloping down about 1/8 of the way toward the center. Normally you wouldn't notice it, but in a close shot like this it makes a difference. They also tend to be a little bit bumpy and irregular in real life. I also think the curve at the edge of each tile needs to be wider, start closer to the center, probably about twice as wide as it is now.

I would also make the tiles reflective, unless these are on the floor. Non-floor tiles are usually glossy to avoid stains and make them easier to clean, and a nice reflection would emphasise the irregularities in the surface. Of course, this means you'll have to build more environment for the tiles to reflect. :p

jellyfish

Garma
08-12-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by jellyfish
However, the contacts case lid seems boring, I feel it needs something, maybe it's too dark and needs to be lighter, or choose a color. I know that that's the actual color of the plastic, but it doesn't sit well compositionally with the bottle and tiles.

It depends on what he wants I guess. I think this is exactly what the picture makes photorealistic, every-day-scene. I feel your point but I think if he changes it, things will look "set up", too complete.

Ringas
08-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Thank you all for your productive comments. I'll try modifying the scene according to what you said. For the time being, I have only changed the camera position, put an HDR background and used the latter to light the scene. No changes whatsoever regarding geometry or texturing.

Update no2:
http://www.ringas.netfirms.com/images/Contact_Lenses_02.jpg

If the direct link doesn't work, copy and paste it.

PS:I know that the background is a kitchen scene but I haven't got access to other HDR images.

Tassos Ringas
National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A.)
Faculty of Architecture
archigrid@hotmail.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.