PDA

View Full Version : Quads necessary for flat surfaces?

Kien
09-23-2009, 02:22 AM
I heard once that topology isn't very important when it comes to all flat surfaces. Tris and ngons doesn't matter really since you will never notice the difference when it's always going to be flat. Do you agree?

Doner
09-25-2009, 06:10 PM
if its a flat surface and you are smoothing it (proxy smooth, subD etc.....) I don't triangulate/quadrangulate because maya seems to interpolate it nicely if I don't, but if I'm modeling it as is, then i always quadrangulate the surfaces (and usually have triangles in there too, if its flat and not deforming it doesn't matter too much). Experiment a little while you model and you will very quickly figure out what approaches work best and fastest for you. I usually keep it lightweight and manipulate hard/soft edge normals to ensure it renders correctly. Tons of tight bevels all over the place so that you can smooth it just seems to make things dense and unworkable - but again, there are places where they are necessary. So try it out, then try it another way. Then try it again:) A couple models into your career you'll have it 80% figured out. The next ten years you'll learn the last 20%

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2009, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.