PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Compositing...

nfrancisj
09-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Alloo All,

Does anyone have any tips when it comes time for composting fluids. I have a tornado with a few passes of fluids rendered separately and a background. The issue I am having is when I pull them all into after effects to layer them..I get a white...sometimes black rim around each fluid pass. Ideas?

I think there's an issue with the renders being pre-multiplied. I am not sure tho. Can some explain how pre-multiplication works in maya? Should I render with premult turned "off" or "on" in general ? and why?

Also my other framebuffer settings are set to defaults other than the data type which is set to RGBA 4x32bit.

Thanks in Advace !

Cheers :beer:

longrayjohnson
09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
your comp application should offer the possibility to unpremultiply your footage, so you could easely check if that is causing the problem.

nfrancisj
09-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks.. I'm using nuke. and I tried the premult and unpremult but still i have a weird outline.

MrMusaeus
09-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Have you checked pre-multiplied when importing to aftereffects?

DJ_
09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
You should always render your fluid against a black background. Turn off any color or image plane before you render your fluid out. Otherwise you will get your fluid premultiplied against a color other then black and that may be a pain to comp sometimes.

I've also tried to render it unpremultiplied (mental ray gives you that option) but that wasn't good either.

In nuke, there's a difference between using the "premultiplied" ticker on the read node and using a "premult" node. I don't really know that the difference is, but they look different. Most of the times using the "premult" node looks better. Try them borh... maybe both on the same time.

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.