PDA

View Full Version : Pendulum Animation

Jero3D
09-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone! This is the latest version of my Pendulum animation after getting a few critiques but I feel I can improve it even more but I'm not sure how :P

I really need everyone's help to improve it, any suggestions are welcome! Post anything you think that might improve it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3TtEjVwm4s&feature=related

Thanks in Advance,

Jero

shadermonkey
09-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Great job. Watched it about 30 times trying to find some constructive crit...

all i can point out is that at the bottom of swing 2 and 3 it seems to stutter (if that makes sense) It may be that i watched it way too many time :surprised

Very very convincing to me though.

Looking forward to seeing your future animations

Jero3D
09-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Hey Shadermonkey! Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I will try to correct that because those 2 swings aren't very smooth as you said. I will post it tomorrow with that problem fixed :D

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Jero3D
09-23-2009, 10:28 PM
I've smoothed the 2nd and 3rd swing I think :P it looks better now and I also went over some curves of the other swings which were going maybe too fast and I changed some poses a little.

Here is the update! Please give feedback!

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wVXQfWfe0&feature=player_embedded

shadermonkey
09-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Lookin good :thumbsup:

Maybe you can get feedback from an actual animator 'cuz i'm not that good when it comes to the technicalities of fine-tuning animation.

Best of luck, keep up the great work.

giordi
09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
i think that it'snt still perfect. the follow looks me like with own life it doens't look me like a follow maybe to big movement and i think to fast in some point of animation we need always a frame counter for give better critique animation

Jero3D
09-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Giordi! Thanks for the advice, I will work on it now and try to fix what you say. By the way, I can't get a frame counter for 3D Max 2010. I used to have one for 3D Max 9 called Frame Counter, but it doesn't work on 3D Max 2010 :S Also, I can't find a website to upload the videos free so people can watch them frame by frame without downloading. I used to upload on Boxstr but they changed it and now you only have the download option :S If you know any, a frame counter or a file hosting website that is like Boxstr please link me.

I will post soon the updated version! Thanks for the critique!

giordi
09-25-2009, 04:12 AM
after effect can do easily that . i think that maybe you can do a script i use maya and on maya i think that it's not so hard however good job i'm waiting for new update

Jero3D
09-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi all! Here is an update of the pendulum. It took me some days since I did it a lot of times and I feel it looks really good now. The only thing I have to improve are the last swings I think, but the beginning looks really good for me!

I made the pendulum animation loop so it's easier to watch and I'm also uploading a quicktime version to Boxstr and Youtube in case Boxstr goes down again.

Please critique!!!

http://boxstr.com/files/6076683_9gsfl/pendulum7.mov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrPUHsErEI

giordi
09-30-2009, 02:49 AM
wo man really really better! only one thing i think that the first joint have to move less... i think that more is long the chain and more the last one move ... it same that all the 3 joint have almost the same rotation . however i like this test well done ...why don't you try 2 or 3 movement? will be a very good exercice maybe one slow and one very fast (change direction)

neonoodle
10-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Hey Jero,
It's looking better than before, but it looks like you need to offset your curves more. It looks like you're animating all the pendulum joints all at the same time, so all the extremes are hitting at once. Try keeping the animation on the top joint, and offset the next one by 2 frames and the following one by 2 frames after that, so that while the top joint is starting to rotate back, the bottom joints are still continuing their motion and dragging behind.

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2009, 04:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.