PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rigid Bodies question

wethepe0ple
09-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I am currently animating a little scene with 2 characters chasing each other.

There is a lot of stuff where they should smash through or bounce against and I am not really fancy about animating everything.
The Rigid Bodies option in Maya seems to be a good and quick alternative. As long as I use cubes to bounce against each other, everything seems to work just fine but when I try to apply it to my rigged and animated model, nothing happens.

I thought the reason might be that it is a reference, but even after importing everything into the scene it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

thanks a lot
Jacob

DynamicBoy
09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Do you know the pulldownit plugin? It has the ability to make animated characters interact with surrounding objects, it would probably make the work.

destruct007
09-23-2009, 12:28 AM
when are you going to get pulldownit on 64bit maya/linux build? I'm more than ready to put it to use at work :D

DynamicBoy
09-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi dave,

I have to say you compile for linux is quite a mess becouse the great number of distributions of this OS, and sadly the compatibilty is not 100% among them. by our feedback it seems really each studio is using a different vesion of Linux, could you tell me which version are you using?

In any case we would begin with Red hat becouse it is the only one officialy supported by Autodesk.

excuse me wethepe0ple for disserting on your original thread

wethepe0ple
09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
No worries mate! It;s always good to get help so no need to excuse.

I had a look at pulldown it, but no matter how I install it it gives me errror messages.
Loading the plugin works just fine, but as soon as I try to follow the tutorial from the website and hit the first button in the shelf row it gives me this message

// Error: Cannot find procedure "pdiSolver".

I am running maya2009 and win xp64 bit.

To answer further questions.
I've created a new folder for the plugin under

C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\My Documents\maya\pulldownit

and created a modules folder in

C:\Documents and Settings\Jfrey\My Documents\maya\modules
C:\Documents and Settings\Jfrey\My Documents\maya\2009-x64\modules

with the appropriate txt-file. Just to be sure. I always tend to get confused by all the maya folders.

and this is the content of the textfile

+ Thinkinetic 1.0 C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\My Documents\maya\pulldownit

DynamicBoy
09-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi Jacob,

Im almost sure the problem is you are using an incorrect maya modules folder.

After Maya is installed it creates an users folder usually,

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya

there is also a shortcut by clicking My Documents icon on the desktop,

My Documents\maya

inside it you can find the modules folder,

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya\modules

you have to copy the pdiMaya.txt file here.

If you isntallation is different search for the original Maya modules folder with the
"search file" tool of windows.

let me know if you have got it.

wethepe0ple
09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't think that this is the problem. Because otherwise maya wouldn't have found the plugin at all and that's what it did.

There is no problem in pushing all the other buttons, just this one.. which seems to be the most important, doesn't work.

After checking my hard drive for other maya modules folders I found one under Program Files/Maya and I also copied the pdi txt-file into it, but still same issue.

Maybe I should use PhysX in 2008 and then improt the baked Sim into 2009

I never get these maya folders, there always seem to be plenty of them :curious:

But thanks for your help Carlos!

DynamicBoy
09-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Jacob,

You are right, we updated the files in august for a minor issue with windows vista and this object name was mispelling by mistake, we have already fixed the problem, you can download it again or simply replace the pdiui.mel file of your version(in the folder scripts) for the one attached to this post .

thanks a lot for your feedback

wethepe0ple
09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
sweet! Didn't know I was talking to one of the publishers! :rolleyes:

I'll check it out as soon as I find time and let u know if everthing went fine!

Many thanks for your help

wethepe0ple
09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
great! it works! thanks a lot mate!

edit: already lovin it! super easy to handle and gives great results! Is shutterIt included to the pro version? And what's the pricing? Can't find anyhting about it

Cheers
jacob

DynamicBoy
09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi jacob,

Nice to see you like the plugin and solved your problem, shatter it is included in the pro version,you have to contact thinkinetic to know about licencing, it is really affordable.

It is possible to see your clip finished somewhere?

wethepe0ple
09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately I am not allowed to show the whole animation because it is a previz for a future project, but I could playblast just the dynamics part as soon as it's finished. Nothing special though.

My main task is animation so it's the first time I am using dynamics and I just wanted to pimp up my anim a little bit.
By only watching the tutorials from the website pulldown it seems to be the perfect plugin to start with.

But as soon as I get back to Germany I might suggest to get the pro version for our uni.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.