PDA

View Full Version : making phonemes question

Mechis
08-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out endomorphs and making phonemes for characters and I have a question for y'all. Is it possible to make an endomorph from other endomorphs? An example of what I'm talking about is this: make #1, which is an open mouth, make #2, which is a smile. THEN, use these two endomorphs to make #3, which would be a smiling open mouth. Say 50% of #1 and 50% of #2 to make 100% of #3?

Is this possible?
Thanks
~Mechis

roguenroll
08-10-2003, 05:13 PM
well i would, instead of making a third one, (in layout) just take your smile and put it up to 50%, then take your open mouth and put that up to 50%, mixing both together.

but you might check the save settings on the motionmix panel that maybe posssible aswell, as you describe.

viola

Rogue

CTRL+X
08-10-2003, 05:44 PM
If you have to have an .LWO file that is 50/50 then set the sliders to 50/50 in layout and save out that object and bring it back into modeler on its own layer.

sensai2nd
08-10-2003, 06:09 PM
yeah, ditto what roguenroll said . . . mixing morphs to create other expressions will keep the number of moprhs more manageable when you animate . . .

Mechis
08-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. What I was trying to do, was figure out the best way to make a set of endomorphs. What I envisioned, was making one set of basic morphs at the point level (ie. move the point at the corner of the lip up and down or the point at the middle of the lip up and down) and then use those to make the morphs that I would actually animate.

My thinking was that it would be a hassle to try to keep selecting the same points and moving them in similar directions, when I could just make an endomorph to do it and then use that endomorph to make new endomorphs.

The reason why I like this, is that it would be more flexible than simply making phonemes. I would have two sets of controls- one that has a basic phoneme and on that offers point-level control.

I hope my thinking makes sense. These are ideas that I've gained from my days using Animation Master (Anzovin's facial rig video). It made it easy to make any number of various phonemes and even after the phonemes were made, I could still control them with my first set of controls.

Any more thoughts or techniques are appreciated!

I dunno if this is applicable at all (help?), but for some reason, I keep thinking of the word "Baking". Can someone tell me what this is and if it applies to my situation? I can't seem to find info on it in the manual...

CTRL+X
08-10-2003, 08:29 PM
My thinking was that it would be a hassle to try to keep selecting the same points and moving them in similar directions

Make Point selections sets and then save them.

Example: I make a lower lip set then an upper lips set, then a corner of the mouth set and some newsets maybe a combonation of the three above, you can save out as many point selection sets as you want to get the job done.

Robsi
08-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Mechis
I'm trying to figure out endomorphs and making phonemes for characters and I have a question for y'all. Is it possible to make an endomorph from other endomorphs? An example of what I'm talking about is this: make #1, which is an open mouth, make #2, which is a smile. THEN, use these two endomorphs to make #3, which would be a smiling open mouth. Say 50% of #1 and 50% of #2 to make 100% of #3

Hi,

you can try MorphMap Mixer (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index-e.html) from D-Storm. With this cool plugin you can make new endomorphs from a mix of all the others as a new starting point.

Ciao, Robert

Mechis
08-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll need to check this stuff out...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.