PDA

View Full Version : gMiL Occlusion...

leigh
05-15-2002, 01:05 PM
Ummm does anyone have any idea as to what it is exactly that the gMiL Occlusion shader in Lightwave does??? I know what occlusion is, but the results from the shader seem to be something else :surprised the renders look almost almost like fake GI or something... Yet occlusion is supposed to be the non-rendering of objects that are unseen. What is going on?? :insane:
Anyone care to enlighten me????

evan
05-15-2002, 11:01 PM
Hey Leigh, I saw a page just the other day with some examples and explanations of this plugin, now I can't remember the address. Basically, yep, its a fake radiosity plugin.
Also, taken from Dan Ablan's Inside LW7 book, its says ....

gMIL, This is a surface occlussion plug in, allowing you to control the occlusion of diffuse, spec, and reflection on a selected surface.

Hope that helps, I know I'm still partially baffled by this plugin :)

Regards

Tudor
05-16-2002, 07:38 AM
It has something to do with how accessible a part of the object is to the lights in the scene.

from http://www.kennethwoodruff.com/digitalart/lightwave/fp/

IV. gMil
Though not radiosity, much less a radiosity mode, gMil should be mentioned in context with the other global illumination options available to you. gMil is a shader-based 3rd party solution (by Eric Soulvie) for generating global illumination effects. It is an "occlusion" shader, which means that it searches for how accessible to lighting the geometry might be. Its results are similar to the Backdrop Only radiosity mode, but has specific controls for determining where the illumination effects are applied, as well as more options for determining what is affected. As it is a shader, it can be applied on a per-surface basis, which can save time when you do not need to generate radiosity for an entire scene.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.