PDA

View Full Version : Help Modeling A Car

System4321
09-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Good evening.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been using 3DS Max for a while. Started using it in college and just started with it again.

I'm struggling modeling a car. I've tried following several tutorials but whenever I try and do it it goes wrong.

I'm basically taking a plane, converting it to editable poly and pressing shift and moving the edge to the next point to try and create a wheel arch. I finally get something I'm remotely happy with. I then move on to extending it to make more of the body. This is where I go wrong and this happens...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/brokenfist/Problem.jpg

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

Jamie :)

blank
09-22-2009, 08:43 AM
dont extrude the edge try using 'Shift + move/dragging the edges instead

see if that helps

scrimski
09-22-2009, 10:47 AM
dont extrude the edge try using 'Shift + move/dragging the edges instead
He does.
I finally get something I'm remotely happy with. I then move on to extending it to make more of the body. This is where I go wrong and this happens...Not to put you down, but where exactly is the part yo are happy with? Bluntly said it's a complete mess, intersecting edges and sharp angles which will cause errors when using a turbo or mesh Smooth modifier.
It should look like this,

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/makingof_porsche_tutorial/Part%201/images/image_06.jpg

not like yours.
You will have to put some work into it by moving and aligning vertices in away that the edges form a nice flow without intersecting each other.That's all.

System4321
09-22-2009, 12:09 PM
I know its a complete mess. I'm here to learn from you guys. I didnt include a shot of the bit I'm happy with.

Looking at how you've done it I shall try again and see how I get on.

Thanks so far :)

blank
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
To be honest if you are having troubles with controlling your vertices and edges maybe going full tilt into a larger project such as a car is abit much and pull back on your expectations.

Maybe concentrate on a detail of the car such as a wing mirror or a just a wheel, or just random stuff like your Mug on your desk? even these simple objects can have complex curves and shapes and be a challenge

this will allow you to try making the same object from start to finish a couple of times and get control of your mesh - plus you'll see how long it takes and how long you can expect to take to make a car :-)

just an idea mind, but the I'm a learner and 'I'm having trouble making a car' is a very very common problem

Have fun though :-)

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.