PDA

View Full Version : Topology of a keyhole

jakeh14
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
How might one create a keyhole with proper topology? I'm using 3ds max and have tried ProBoolean but the quads it provides are just plain ugly. I'm right now creating a spline to extrude, but the topology looks (better but) ugly too!

Is there some proper way to do this?

Piflik
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
What kind of keyhole and for what purpose? There are many ways to do a keyhole and all of them require manual cutting and shoving of Vertices. The topology would be different, depending on the shape of the Keyhole and the technique you want to use to create it.

In any case: Stay away from Booleans!!!

jakeh14
09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
What kind of keyhole and for what purpose? There are many ways to do a keyhole and all of them require manual cutting and shoving of Vertices. The topology would be different, depending on the shape of the Keyhole and the technique you want to use to create it.

In any case: Stay away from Booleans!!!

Heh. Booleans suck, I'm with you!

I'm making a keyhole for a character model, so it's big enough that I can't just use texture. Here's a reference photo (link I pulled from Google Images)

http://z.about.com/w/experts/Locksmithing-3110/2009/01/old-lock.jpg

So perhaps I should be making the inward extrusion into a rectangle (I would then select the polys that pertain to the keyhole itself, and extrude inward), then try to create loops which blend from rectangle to cylinder?

On a similar note, it seems to make no sense that standard cylinders start with this gigantor n-gon on top. A) Why does max do this (if anyone knows)? and B) How might one resolve the resulting tris on the cap? Or should I even bother?

Those two questions are moreso out of curiousity...I would prefer some input about the keyhole please

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.