PDA

View Full Version : Softimage|3D 4.0 out soon?

Monkey_Majick
01-15-2002, 04:32 AM
I heard from a colleague of mine that Avid are releasing Softimage 4.0 soon.

Can anyone verify that bit of news?

Monkey_Majick
01-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Anyone?

Ed?

Have you heard anything?

Nando
01-15-2002, 10:35 PM
Yep its True 4.0 will be available not sure when, but ive seen folks using it.

Nando:D

Monkey_Majick
01-15-2002, 11:08 PM
Thanks!

Any screen shots?
Any articles to look at?

EdHarriss
01-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Softimage|3D 4.0 seems to be a mystery. No one I've talked to can tell me for sure when it's coming out, what it looks like, how much it will cost or what new features it will have.

If anyone knows anything about 4.0, it sure would be nice to hear.

sumone
01-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Softimage 4.0 is still in beta (2) and will have some new features like :

3D now runs on Linux!

Multiple UV Texturing

Advanced Vertex Color Authoring

Polygon Hide / Unhide

Dopesheet Support for Custom and Shader Function Curves

Interactive Editing of Shading Normals

Playstation 2 TIM2 Image Support

TurboGetScene+ - new feature for optimal scene load performance

FreezeNormalColors+ - create vertex colors from shading normals

SetCurrentMatTxt+ - simple and powerful management of current material and textures

SetVertexColors+ - new advanced additions to the tool

GC_PolygonReduction+ - ability to reduce multiple models & scenes in stand-alone batch mode

Plus many bug fixes...

and the SDK.

i dont have yet a release date. The Softimage Team was mainly targetting on XSI 2.01 developing

Jean-Claude
www.mimgfx.com

Null_
01-17-2002, 08:19 AM
I thought XSI was to "replace" SI|3d, but from these post that doesn’t seem to be case(?)

Will Avid continue to develop SI|3d parallel to XSI as two different package or am I missing something? Anybody know?

jordibares
01-17-2002, 08:33 AM
This is just my opinion, but i think Softimage is pushing a little bit the old Softimage3D because the game developers and people that still rely on this package, but that is ending.

jordibares

sumone
01-17-2002, 09:26 AM
XSI 2.0 is now shipped without Softimage 3D.. that wasnt true fro XSI 1.5 but now.. XSI is ready to be stand alone.
the reason for Softimage 3D 4.0 could be the complete plorting to Linux platform and for ppl who wont yet move to XSI.... we know that SI|3D still rocks :).....

Jean-Claue
www.mimgfx.com

Monkey_Majick
03-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Ok. Check out. Found something.

http://www.softimage.com/Products/XSI/v2/promo/upgrade_3D40

Jin3D
03-09-2002, 02:44 AM
Something's strange about SI 4.0, my local resseler told me that he had it and gave me the price ...
Well it doesn't really matter what version you have if your still on the maintenance anyway.

Null_
03-09-2002, 05:51 PM
My reseller told me that ver. 4 was NOT included as a free update by the maintenance deal, so you hade to pay for it (don’t know the price though). He also told me that the update was mainly focused towards game developers, witch makes the update less interesting for me…

jazzthief
03-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Why Avid is releasing v.4 of old Soft 3D I'll never know when XSI v.2.01 is fine product. I guess the hardcore Soft 3D devotees doesn't want it to die.

raffael3d
03-12-2002, 12:49 PM
What is strange that they release a new version but don't "push" it. There is almost no advertising for it. But consider that Softimage is still widely used. And it's always interesting that if you watch a making of DVD and see the people at ILM (like Rob Coleman) who still uses Soft 3.7! :-)
But probably they really want to it to die....:-( it had the coolest interface i have ever seen.

grendizer
03-12-2002, 08:55 PM
I bet they'll advertise when it is out :scream:

jazzthief
03-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Funny, you mentioned ILM since a friend claimed that Jurassic Park 3 was the last project to be using Soft 3D. I recently rented A.I. (Kubrick could have done better) and noticed in the behind the scenes that ILM was still using old Soft 3D for the Teddy character animation! Even Mainframe Entertainment still uses old Soft and refuse to touch XSI.

krisr
03-13-2002, 09:51 PM
I think the main reason it's not discussed much is because XSI is their new flagship product and that's where the party is at. I also think that SI3D 4.0 is being released mostly to cater to a few production and gaming houses who were looking forward to and waiting for some improvements to SI3D before moving over to XSI which probably makes sense since some games and films take several years to make. I'm sure that it will stay low key even after its release and will eventually go to the 3d graveyard......rest in peace :(

Jin3D
03-13-2002, 09:54 PM
seem that the old SI is still used at ilm check this (http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/Cs/VOLUME_2/Issue_2/ILM.htm) out. I still like it, I use it almost every day, here in montreal a lot of studios are still using it.

raffael3d your right that's the coolest interface.

ciao

jazzthief
03-13-2002, 11:47 PM
IO-Media I remember that place thought many of you have gone XSI route. Are you guys still doing visualization or has the shop pursued any broadcast gigs.

raffael3d
03-14-2002, 12:25 AM
I also heard that it is very difficult for companies to switch to another package, because they built a production pipeline, hired shader programmers, write their own plugins ....so if finally the whole thing works you wont just switch to something else.
But I will miss the coooooool inteeeerface. Just because of this I will keep always soft 3d wow...it's love isn't it? :rolleyes: :D

jazzthief
03-14-2002, 01:40 AM
It's good to have Soft 3D in handy since in XSI you can't export .obj files into Deep Paint 3D. Bummer.

raffael3d
03-14-2002, 02:24 AM
ups. I knew that XI can't import/export many formats, but this is baaaaaaad! I don't understan why they don't program this, it's so important and useful. This would also allow to use xsi with many other packages. I'm lucky that Lightwave has a Softimage export...uuh.....that's big luck...but sending it back.....no.

jazzthief
03-14-2002, 02:48 AM
There's a reason why third party plug-ins like Move Tool/ PolyTrans is cashing in from this error.

krisr
03-14-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by jazzthief
IO-Media I remember that place thought many of you have gone XSI route. Are you guys still doing visualization or has the shop pursued any broadcast gigs.

We have gone almost totally XSI but we still rely on SI3D for some quick logistical and architectural stuff since the turn around on some of those jobs is very short and some of our staff aren't yet very familiar with XSI. We still do mostly visualization but we are starting to creep into broadcast and commercial stuff :grin:

dmonk
03-15-2002, 01:30 AM
Hey kris It's Tony from rutgers.

I thought you guys were still messing with SI3d?

raffael3d
03-15-2002, 01:34 AM
but do you want to change to XSI or are you like ILM which has still Soft 3D 3.7.....you can see that often in the "making of" .

Jin3D
03-15-2002, 01:59 AM
why are you saying soft 3.7??
it could be soft 3.9.2.2 ?

raffael3d
03-15-2002, 02:12 AM
I guess you don't know the history of Softimage don't you?
have you ever read the book "inside softimage 3D"?
the look of the interface from version 3.5 to 3.9 changed a bit. in each version the buttons on the left and on the right side became less transparent. in 3.5 there was just a border around the "text" in the button. in 3.7 it was almost the same. In 3.8 its only half transparent and has a shadow. in 3.9 it's not transparent anymore its a "real" button.
;)
that's it
and on the making of DVD of Star Wars 1 there you can see Animation supervisor Rob Coleman with Softimage 3D....3.7

Jin3D
03-15-2002, 02:24 AM
anyway on an SGI soft 3.5 and 3.9 look al,most the same, just middle mouse click on the word softimage, you'll get you interface back

raffael3d
03-15-2002, 02:32 AM
yeah you are right, I just tried that one.
I aplogize I didn't know that.....but it looks like soft 3.8
are you sure that a SGI 3.5-3.7 is like winNT 3.9?

krisr
03-15-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by dmonk
Hey kris It's Tony from rutgers.

I thought you guys were still messing with SI3d?

Yo Tony, we still dab into SI3d for some of our quick jobs. Like I said, a few of our architectural people haven't fully moved over to XSI yet so they still use SI3d for now but we hope to be fully XSI in about 9 months max. All other production work is done in XSI.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.