PDA

View Full Version : polygons all jagged - need help

trublmkr
09-21-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm using Zbrush 3, only for about a month now and while getting to a higher subdivided level getting some REALLY jagged areas and the smooth brush only makes it worse, an example is attached. does anyone know how to fix this? and also how to prevent this?
this model started with a sphere and i used move and standard brush/add to grow out the porportions but as you can see certain areas have gone screwey and I really don't want to start from scratch.
thanks in advance.

Phil Lawson
09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi there

A sphere will provide a basic start to play about with, but it provides very poor topology. What your seeing here is the poles of the sphere causing issues. The best way to avoid such problems is to use the new zspheres II or better than that, model the low res object and work the correct topology from the beginning.

You can export what you have now and work on the topology from that or you can even do it in zbrush - check out the wiki for retopology.

Cheers.

trublmkr
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
thanks for the info,
this was my first attempt and had a though a single sphere would be a bit of a stretch to stretch into an entire humanoid. is it more common to build say a humanoid model using several indipendently modeled subtools, like build an arm, torso, head, etc then merge them?
didn't find anything on retopology in wiki, will try google and see what i find.
thanks again for the info.

WGerick
09-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Maybe this will help:

http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/283

http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/237

The first one is free.

trublmkr
09-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Great links Wgerick,
Also found a book i had that covered the basics on retopology. i played a bit with it last night but will take some getting used to the zbrush interface and how it reacts to new edges, vertex's, etc.
thanks agian
very helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2009, 07:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.