PDA

View Full Version : Games-quality model: Sci-Fi

OttovonDrone
08-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Hi guys,

I'll probably be plunging into the depths of the Cg (the nVidia thing) during my free time soon, so decided to try again what is it I can possibly squeeze out of a plain vanilla texture.

The model is a Star Wars TIE fighter. DISCLAIMER: Absolutely everything and anything connected to Star Wars is a trade mark of and belongs to LucasFilm, LucasArts and the companies related to them, May the Force Always Be with Them!!!! If the Moderators consider this post as a problem, please remove it at your discretion.

Now, back to the model. It is just above 1 500 polys and uses a single 1 024x512 texture without any bump/normal/etc. maps. Everything created in about 30 hours. Lots of compositing in order to squeeze everything from the pixel. To be honest, I can't get anything more out of a bitmap. I worked on it after work -- I am not in the Games industry (though I'd love to make starships for LucasArts :)

http://drone.free-host.com/pics/tie_fighter_01.jpg
http://drone.free-host.com/pics/tie_fighter_02.jpg
http://drone.free-host.com/pics/tie_fighter_04.jpg

Thank you for your time guys!

Best,
O_v_D

OttovonDrone
08-10-2003, 12:37 AM
And a couple more :)

http://drone.free-host.com/pics/tie_fighter_05.jpg
http://drone.free-host.com/pics/tie_fighter_06.jpg
http://drone.free-host.com/pics/tie_fighter_07.jpg

OttovonDrone
08-11-2003, 12:33 PM
OK guys,

What have I done wrong? Almost 100 visits and no reply? being the moron I am, I am sure I haven't done something the right way.

I am aware that the Focused Critiques Forum is not a place for the faint of heart, but not receiving comments at all is really waaaay too harsh :) :) :)

Best,
O_v_D

Cyborgguineapig
08-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by OttovonDrone
OK guys,

What have I done wrong? Almost 100 visits and no reply? being the moron I am, I am sure I haven't done something the right way.

Best,
O_v_D

Its just the way CGTALK can sometimes be:hmm: I dont have much experience with star wars technical accuracy wise but I have watched the movies and your model looks pretty accurate. Sorry i can't help much.

OttovonDrone
08-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks a lot! I'll probably just have to get used to the habits here :)

I am more concerned with the quality of the model and texturing rather than exact accuracy (which is pretty close, as far as the Blueprints published are concerned). Any comments, especially critiques of anything that stands wrong will be greatly appreciated, guys!

Thanks in advance!

Best,
O_v_D

Stonepilot
08-11-2003, 06:09 PM
This is a comment that my boss made regarding someone's reel that had starwars stuff.
" Out of all the things in the world that this person could have created. He chose to recreate a model that has been model and texture a million times over. How the F------ can I count on this guy to be a creative part of my team".

Not that you're applying for the job . You're not going to wow anyone with this specific model. It might be harsh but be creative. Be inspire by others work but don't go and shoot yourself on the foot by just modling the same thing.

davidSingha
08-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey, this looks good to me! Ok some cric... just minor detail stuff. Maybe you could add transparentcy to the winshield or add some reflection to it. Change your lighting scheme too.

cheers!:beer:

OttovonDrone
08-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Stonepilot,

Thanks for the honest response! I just would like to say that I am not applying anywhere with this particular model, nor am I trying to wow anyone. I just used it for some experiments in texture making and compositing -- that's all. I want to clear up the details before starting to use the technique on my own concepts, and I do believe that if I can bring it up to the standards of the original model I chose to recreate this time, my concept things will look better :)

That said, conceptual development of space ships and equipment is probably one of my strongest skills (as long as I have any at all) -- a skill developed through the years by the inspiration I got from "The Big Ones" :)

Best,
O_v_D

Pyke
08-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Amazing texture work here. would it be possible to see your texture sheet???

KotsVlok
08-12-2003, 01:32 PM
I know the reason you aint getting that much 'focused critiques' ....cuz...it's just a perfect model, with perfect texturing imho...

davidSingha
08-12-2003, 04:28 PM
OttovonDrone,

I don't think you should be too concern w/ doing geometry that has been done millions of times over. The hardest challenge in modeling is to create a clone of an original. This truly test everything form your cerebral to your motor functions. From proper proportions to techniques, texturing, lighting, rendering, compositing, mel script..... I also don't think it should be a problem including them in your demo reel as long as they are outstanding and it is only a small percentage of your reel. Most often you will be creating someone else's design anyway.

As long as you're doing the geometry you like it's just make it much more FUN.

may the force be w/ you!

cheers:beer:

OttovonDrone
08-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the encouragement guys :) It really is important to me for a number of reasons!

davidSingha, thanks for the advices! I probably won't shy away from including theis model as well in my portfolio when some day I brush the dust off it, but yes, certainly it will not be a central part there.

Here is the texture as requested. I'll probably reduce the amount of direct lighting baked into the wing Hexagonal object (upper right corner of the texture) because it will not fit with all illumination sets.

An interesting side note is that initially all model parts were in the same hue of grey, and as a result the model looked absolutely plastic :) I played ofr several hours to shift the hues to get back the metallic looks in :)

Texture:

http://drone.free-host.com/pics/Tie_Fighter_Master_Map_47.jpg

Thanks again guys!

Best,
O_v_D

Stonepilot
08-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Dude just aim to be a creative individual. What ever you do don't put starswars crap in your reel. Your reel will get pulled and will go into the Starwars geek pile. We get reel from guys that make their own short films base on starwars they get pulled. We get guys that model their version of shrek that goes to. Anything that has my version of whatever is goes right out. And its not just at my job I've seen it done at other places. Dude this is just my experience I could be wrong.

Scott Harris
08-12-2003, 10:18 PM
dude, thise textures are the shnizzel.

great..but whats up with that scuff mark? ook so much time on everything else... try that scuffing again.

for rizzel... das be the hippest diz-ahg! But on the skivvy, save big are those images? I had to go to the stow and gets me a 40oz while I waited for them to load my brotha.

FatAssasin
08-13-2003, 12:29 AM
It's way too clean. Watch the Star Wars films again, or look through an "Art of Star Wars" book. The main thing Lucas tried to do with these ships was to make them look used. Yours looks like it's been pulled right off the assembly line.

OttovonDrone
08-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Naaah, this is an Imperial machine, they're all clean and shiny -- I've checked a thousand times :)

If you want something Star Wars and dirty -- here is a battered Z-95 Headhunter (just above 2 500 polys) and its texture (which is entirely 2D job). Please excuse me for the size of the .JPG's.

http://drone.free-host.com/pics/Z-95_28.jpg
http://drone.free-host.com/pics/Z-95_32.jpg
http://drone.free-host.com/pics/Z-95_35.jpg

Best.
O_v_D

Tekspdy
08-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Hmmm, I still see clean written all over that.

This is however my personal opinion, but if you want a real dirty "after battle look", try adding some dents to areas of the ship, nose, front of the wing, and burns all over.. In star wars you see them fly right thru the recks of others, i mean cmon, a ship cant look liek ur picture after that lol...

Heres what I came up with::

http://www.g2muzic.com/speedy/starwars.jpg

Just my ideas, but it looks really good for a after battle thing ;)

stecki
08-16-2003, 12:51 AM
i think your texture baking is too harsh imo. you have to think of these objects in their environments. in space, especially in fighter combat, the ship will rotate all around, yet you have a very harsh light source static on the model will look wrong imo in a game environment. it looks great for static renders with matching light sources, but put the light on the opposite side and rotate the craft a bit and it will look weird. if it was a car, where it mostly sits on the ground, aside from the offshot missile or crash, pretty much stays on the same plane so you at least have that axis to work from. with ships, it's more about making the raised panels brighter, and dirt in the corners to make them pop, much like making a bump map (i understand you dont want to make the bump map for experiments, just using it as an example). this way you still get the relief and detail, but it can face more lighting conditions.

star wars stuff gets mostly binned here too. if you just go for modelling we look more at the real world modellers as anyone can make a spaceship that has no reference, but not everyone can make a porsche look like a porsche for example. the real world guys get first dibs usually when going for modelling texture jobs. this of course does not apply to the concept guys. but most concept guys don't do star wars anyways.

OttovonDrone
08-16-2003, 01:41 AM
Guys, let me say this again loudly, coz it seems you miss it:

I am not applying anywhere with these models! They are made for fun and to experiment with different techniques. Soon I'll post up some concepts implemented in 3D.

Stecki, thanks for the advices. Two points: In space you have extremely harsh shadows and contrasts when you have a decent lighsource. In case you don't have this source, you see nothing. See a couple fo ISS real-life imagery.
Second, don't fool yourself with the cars vs. spaceships stuff. Equally easy. If there is any division modeling-wise and texturing-wise, it's organic vs. non-organic modeling. Cars, spaceships, tanks, airplanes, whatever -- if you have blueprints you either make an accurte model, or you don't. In the case of Star Wars, you have the blueprints -- no place for interpretion. So that comparison (spaceships vs. cars) is a bit out of place.

Best,
O_v_D

stecki
08-16-2003, 04:04 AM
i agree anything can be modelled accurately of course, human, car, known spaceship's from star wars. just talking about the portfolio comment stonepilot made, since i have seen that personally, i found it funny. i think everyone in the business has had that experience. and i know you aren't going trying to get a job, jee whiz...

you did post this in focused critiques and called it a games quality model, so i am treating it as such. if you are just making a model of a tie fighter for the heck of it for fun, then i have nothing to critique, except nice tie fighter.

i do agree in space you have harsh shadows with strong light sources. i was relating it to a real time game model, which is what your title says, games quality model. in that focus, i was giving my opinion that since the model rotates around a lot since it is not like a heavy cruiser, those dark sourced shadows and specific hilight will definitely look a bit off when the lighting comes from another direction than what you have baked. in case of vehicles where lightsources will be coming from lots of direction with heavy rotations, i think the technique of using a more omni directional light source is better, in game. notice in space sim and fighter games, such as homeworld or even the lucas arts games themselves, their vehicles don't usually have harsh shadows in the details of the textures. usually you let the real time lighting take care of the harshness on the polygons, and the detail is more generic. your z95 has much less harsh shadows and i think a better example than the tie fighter on that point. only thing i think about the z95 is it looks really busy, like you applied the photoshop spatter to it everywhere. like the red stripe should have some scratches off here and there, but there isn't one spot that paint isn't peeling on yours. only Ford paints vehicles that bad (cheap shot i know). it's all so uniformly dirty. dirt would collect more in the crevices and areas like the engine connection to the bodys, while the wings would be cleaner. look at ww2 battled planes, you see the exhaust charring the the body and it dirtier around where crewmen access parts of the plane, while things like the tail fins are mostly always clean.

anyways, only trying to help, good luck with your models. sorry if i bothered you, :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.