PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - License no longer works

3dtutorial
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi...

Get to work this morning, turn on workstation, guess what, Softimage 2010 no longer works!

It was working, now it does not. When I perform a status enquiry it says:

License file(s) on 192.168.1.103: @192.168.1.102;C:\Softimage\XSI_7.5_x64\Softimage_7.5_x64\adlm\licenses\Autodesk.lic:

lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server system.
The license server manager (lmgrd) has not been started yet,
the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the
port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Server name: 192.168.1.103
License path: 27000@192.168.1.103;
FLEXnet Licensing error:-15,570
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.macrovision.com".

I'm trying to keep my cool... but it's not easy. Please help before I go postal :-)

Kind Regards,

Joe

3dtutorial
09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
BTW -- I can see:

@192.168.1.102;C:\Softimage\XSI_7.5_x64\Softimage_ 7.5_x64\adlm\licenses\Autodesk.lic:

Firstly, I can see that the IP does not match...

Moreover, I don't understand why the above path is being pointed to... why is it looking in my 7.5 directory???? Where the heck is it getting that path from?

I don't know what has caused this all of a sudden, but I've got to tell you it sure is annoying.

J

3dtutorial
09-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Ok, now get this.....

I tried to start v7.5 up (which is also on this machine) and guess what, it started.

So I exited out of that.

Then I went and tried to start 2010 just for fun.... and guess what... this time it decided to start up.... WTF ?????? is going on here??????

So I checked the license status and now it says...

License server status: 27000@cmagic-PC
License file(s) on cmagic-PC: C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\SFTIMA2010enlicense.lic:

cmagic-PC: license server UP (MASTER) v11.5

Vendor daemon status (on cmagic-PC):

adskflex: UP v11.5

Ok, so now it has decided to work.... why? This thing is is uber flaky sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....why?

I'm not trying to be a PITA, I'm sure there is a reason why this is happening but I need to get to the source of this problem because I can't be at the whim of my software deciding when it might like to start up... or not.

Please, can someone assist me?

Kind Regards,

Joe

3dtutorial
09-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Update...

I changed the host name in my license file to that of my ip address.

It seems to be working better now... I think.

Only time will tell.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

J

xsisupport
09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Do you still need help? Your twitter says it is fixed.
I am off today but I will do a remote support session if necessary. Let me know and I will send the link. I won't be around for too long though...

3dtutorial
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Do you still need help? Your twitter says it is fixed.
I am off today but I will do a remote support session if necessary. Let me know and I will send the link. I won't be around for too long though...

No worries, I think I've got it fixed now. Have a good holiday!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

J

xsisupport
09-18-2009, 02:33 PM
BTW -- I can see:

@192.168.1.102;C:\Softimage\XSI_7.5_x64\Softimage_ 7.5_x64\adlm\licenses\Autodesk.lic:

Firstly, I can see that the IP does not match...

Moreover, I don't understand why the above path is being pointed to... why is it looking in my 7.5 directory???? Where the heck is it getting that path from?

J

Prob from the registry.
HKCU\Software\FLEXlm License Manager
or
HKLM\Software\FLEXlm License Manager

Delete the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE value

mocaw
09-18-2009, 11:49 PM
I can't stand the new licensing program. I can see how it would be flexible for many situations, but for me it's also just a PITA. Hands down the most complicated software activation I've ever experienced.

If Saint Stephen wasn't around many of us would have made a mini bonfire by now with our SI DVDs. I hope he is getting a bonus for his extra work- maybe a co-worker?

If you search the error codes you get a nice long list of people complaining about Flex Licensing Manager etc. from a variety of applications. It must be really cheap for developers to use and implement, but it also feels that way.

It's dumb, makes me feel dumb (OK I am dumb) and often has one wishing they'd just downloaded a cracked copy of SI just to avoid it.

(I'm not saying NOT paying for the app, just paying for it and THEN using a cracked copy).

3dtutorial
09-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I can't stand the new licensing program. I can see how it would be flexible for many situations, but for me it's also just a PITA. Hands down the most complicated software activation I've ever experienced.

If Saint Stephen wasn't around many of us would have made a mini bonfire by now with our SI DVDs. I hope he is getting a bonus for his extra work- maybe a co-worker?

If you search the error codes you get a nice long list of people complaining about Flex Licensing Manager etc. from a variety of applications. It must be really cheap for developers to use and implement, but it also feels that way.

It's dumb, makes me feel dumb (OK I am dumb) and often has one wishing they'd just downloaded a cracked copy of SI just to avoid it.

(I'm not saying NOT paying for the app, just paying for it and THEN using a cracked copy).

For the record, FlexLM is NOT cheap... it happens to be quite expensive and it's implementation can be very complex, depending upon how far the developers wish to take the integration (just to set the record straight).

But that said, I have to agree I hate Flex and I find it beyond annoying. Honestly, I dislike it so intensely that it makes me WANT to look for other easier to use software alternatives. I believe that there is a fine line between the need for security and usability. If FlexLm really did do anything to protect my software investment then I might be able to justify all the headache but the sad fact is that it protects nothing, it only makes my life difficult and that does not make for a good end user experience.

DRM schemes are only beneficial to the people and companies that develop, sell and support them... for the rest of us they are only a PITA and get in the way of being able to work with the tools that we paid for.

Still, not much I can do about it -- except moan that is :-)

Regards,

J

mocaw
09-19-2009, 02:11 AM
For the record, FlexLM is NOT cheap... it happens to be quite expensive and it's implementation can be very complex, depending upon how far the developers wish to take the integration (just to set the record straight).

Wow. OK, that actually makes it seem even worse.

twosheds
09-19-2009, 07:02 AM
You guys are using it on a network?
Should I expect the same licensing problems if I buy a standalone version for one machine if I decide to buy it when my demo runs out?
Or are all the licensing problems only happening for network users?

scottsch
10-18-2009, 03:02 AM
The problems usually relate to network licenses/FlexLM and subscription customers. Mainly the problem is that you cannot download a license file from Autodesk's website, and subscription customers can't simply enter the serial number and have the software activate.

Some solutions: uninstall the trial and reinstall full version from disk w/ serial, also delete old services under LMtools services to avoid licensing conflicts.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2009, 03:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.