PDA

View Full Version : Possible (probable) Disney/Pixar Split

SpaceFork
08-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Pixar CEO and Chairman Steve Jobs said the animated film maker has been talking to other potential partners. Although it would prefer to stay with Disney, he said Pixar will make the move if that's what's needed to get the deal it wants.

I know there's been more than a few discussions on this topic (most discussing which films are part of the "five picture deal"), but I hadn't seen an article from a reputable source until now. Click below to read up on the latest info about the possible(probable) Pixar/Disney split.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/06/news/companies/pixar/index.htm?cnn=yes

richcz3
08-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Disney has been in a creative slump on its own for the past couple years with an occassional hit. Disney as a whole company is performing very poorly. Those Pixar features are the only ones garnering box office successes.

Steve Jobs may see his interests (Both Apple and Pixar) better served by playing more accessable to all studios as opposed to being aligned with one. Form a business and creative standpoint, Disney needs Pixar more than Pixar needs Disney.

richcz3

My Fault
08-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Nobody does distribution like Disney and that's why Pixar will stay.... albeit with a much sweeter deal than before.

Array
08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Even if Disney isnt what it used to be in a creative sense, it is still a marketing juggernaut. With Disney as a partnet, Pixar doesnt have to worry about things like advertising and distribution. And who can forget those loveable McDonald's and Burger King toys?

beaker
08-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Array
Even if Disney isnt what it used to be in a creative sense, it is still a marketing juggernaut. With Disney as a partnet, Pixar doesnt have to worry about things like advertising and distribution. And who can forget those loveable McDonald's and Burger King toys?
Agreed, compare the marketing of ANY animated disney movie to one from WB, Dreamworks, Fox, etc... There is so much stuff in the stores from Disney, it leaks out your ears. How many ice age or iron giant toys were there in the store compared the the number of Toy Story or Monsters inc toys, towels, shoes, party favors, toilet seats, etc..... One single Pixar movie probably pulls in more money in merchandising than the profits they make from the movie worldwide. They would never ever get that kind of push from any other company.

Peter Reynolds
08-10-2003, 05:00 AM
Yes its true Disney has become a powerful marketing/distribution company, first and foremost. But maybe that's part of Disney's problem?

What good is all that distirbution power with results like Treasure Planet VS Shrek?

Nemoid
08-10-2003, 10:44 AM
heard that Pixar had a contract with Disney,
for a certain number of movies.
when all the movies will be done, than the contract will end.
and will start a great period for CG animation.
really, I hope the Disney power on animation will end soon.
surely will finish power on CG animation.
cartoons are not only for (assumed) stupid kids. someone like Miyazaki demonstrated it clearly.

and, you know? Lasseter loves so much Miyazaki movies...:love:

LucentDreams
08-11-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Peter Reynolds
Yes its true Disney has become a powerful marketing/distribution company, first and foremost. But maybe that's part of Disney's problem?

What good is all that distirbution power with results like Treasure Planet VS Shrek?

WEll Your sort of hitting it, granted Treasure planet isnt' the best example, but the thing it marketing makes a huge difference regardless of the quality of the film,look at spirirted away, I eman it didn't do as good in theatres as it really should have, not because of the quality of the fim, but disney didn't spend anything remotely close to what they did on Stitch and TP for marketing.

Disneys best decision froma film making point of view would be to limit the access the head honcho's in the production workflow. It funny how the reason they get involved is to make sure they are not wasting money and such, but they are the ones that tend to cause af ilme to go from 100 million to 140 million.

Pixelmaestro
08-11-2003, 06:59 PM
If Pixar wants to make the negotiation for a new contract interesting, they could hire Michael Ovitz to represent their interest in negotiating a new contract with Disney.

with a clause that the meetings are recorded on video/audio with the rights to produce an animated/short or feature based on the recorded material.

My Fault
08-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Pixelmaestro
If Pixar wants to make the negotiation for a new contract interesting, they could hire Michael Ovitz to represent their interest in negotiating a new contract with Disney.

with a clause that the meetings are recorded on video/audio with the rights to produce an animated/short or feature based on the recorded material.

Da*n you Pixelmaestro... you made me spew coffee all over my monitor! :applause:

erikals
08-18-2003, 11:24 AM
I heard rumors that Pixar will merge with DreamWorks, which really would ruin for the whole industry. Competition is needed. That beeing said, I hope that Disney strikes back one of these days. All they need is new management :)

heavyness
08-18-2003, 05:59 PM
if Pixar did leave disney, i don't think anyone would turn them down for marketing. the only reason disney has tons of deals with toy stores, mc donalds, and video games is because of the name DISNEY. you really think Mattle or any other toy company would turn down PIXAR and not put the toys in every store across the world? that's money in the bank. fast food chains would be fighting over Pixar toys and wondering "what can we do with all these left over Treasure Planet toys?"

i'm sure everyone who has deals with disney have fealt the hurt from the decline in disney movies and would welcome Pixar, even if there not part of disney.

show
08-18-2003, 06:19 PM
I just wish this so called distribution power of disney was international and the rest of us could see the bloody film in theatres when the US does, instead of having to wait till october/november time.

I dont know what its like over in the US relating to finding nemos advertising but over here i've not seen anything more than a A1 poster in a warnervillage theatre, but then we've got about another two months before we can see it anyway.

Jackmars
08-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks for link.I love em both.Wish they just worked it out.Too many clasics from Disney from the past and near past for me to brush them away.Go Disney,go Pixar.Just make me three full CG movies a year.:p :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.