PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Releases SketchBook Mobile on the App Store

Fianna
09-17-2009, 01:25 PM
SketchBook Mobile is a new professional-grade paint and drawing app that offers a full set of sketching tools in a streamlined and intuitive user interface designed specifically for the iPhone and iPod touch.

Check out the Feature Reel (http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/videos/sketchbook_mobile_feature_reel) and see some images created using SBM here (http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-sketchbook-pro/sketchbook-mobile/autodesk-releases-sketchbook-mobile-on-the-app-store)..

GaryHaus
09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Coolness! Going to check it out!

Gary

anoon
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
What's the annual subscription fee?

aadams
09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
can you use a stylus? or just your fingers?

DuttyFoot
09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
looks kinda uncomfortable to draw on such a small screen with your fingers.

rgwarren
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
How does it compare to Layers or Brushes? I'm skeptical as there really isn't all that much space on the screen to do much more than what's already out there. I love the desktop sketchbook program. Just not sure it translates to a tiny screen all that well.

Andy1010
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
What's the annual subscription fee?

Lol. You knew that was coming. And if you don't renew they own your iPhone.

fahr
09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
To quote calvin and hobbes:

"Today I saw something I never knew existed, yet desperately need."

My GOD is 3 bucks! It would be irresponsible not to own it.

mecos
09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
what is synthetic pressure sensitivity? and how well does it work?

NanoGator
09-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I can take a guess. I think the iPhone display can see how much of your finger is touching the screen. The harder you push, the bigger area of the screen your flesh is touching. From there, pressure can be worked out.

Just a guess, though.

Gunnah
09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
its like the blend off/on option for brushes in photoshop (for like fake blends with a mouse instead of a tablet) there's no real pressure sensitivity. The best one for that (imo) is still colors! application it uses tilt of the phone.. once you get used to it it's just as fast as a tablet for that. Advantages for the adesk one is the brush shapes.. that's about it, imo.

g

what is synthetic pressure sensitivity? and how well does it work?

bryitis
09-17-2009, 07:12 PM
New from Autodesk! Sketchbook Mobile for the iPhone!

Professional grade Sketching tools for finger-painting!

Single License Only $2.99 (w/o subscription).
Upgrade price $1.50 (only available from versions released within 2 years.)

But why worry about upgrades?
Secure you investment with Autodesk Gold Subscription at an annual fee of $0.75. If you do... you'll actually be entitled to use your software without legal penalty. Enjoy the peace of mind of never owning the things you need, with predictable cost management!

*Edit: Seriously though, this is pretty nice... best doodling app i've seen yet.

C0rpus
09-17-2009, 07:25 PM
So far this is my favorite. Brush strokes and brush types are very natural, and the interface is fairly slick too.

Gunnah
09-17-2009, 07:33 PM
try colors!, seriously... you can get almost perfect grads with it.. oh and it has stroke playback :P

g

So far this is my favorite. Brush strokes and brush types are very natural, and the interface is fairly slick too.

talos72
09-17-2009, 07:57 PM
ya...not liking the idea of using fingers on the tiny screen. if you could use a stylus it would make it much more user friendly (even without pressure sensitivity). I like the idea of Colors for Nintendo DS, if the screen size was a bit bigger.

I have been wondering why it has been difficult for any company to develop a decent portable dedicated digital sketchbook. I believe we have the technology, but my guess is the market is too small for such a device. so digital artists have to make do with re-purposing what is available.

Guess you can't complain about this version of Sketchbook for $3... :beer:

TVeyes
09-17-2009, 08:05 PM
There is a lite version available. Give that a try.

For me Brushes was very good almost perfect, especially with the new update. After a quick 15 min test drive I must say I like most of what this first release is doing. The brushes feel good and most importantly for me is the quick double tap to undo/redo/center image. No idea why all apps of this nature do not do that. Would like to see a double-tap hold and use the other finger to adjust hue/brightness/saturation/brush size or whatever,.

The only thing I am missing from the brushes app is the playback of my painting on a computer, so I can get a larger sized version if needed (yes, I have heard of photoshop ;)). But then there is the symmetry brush painting in Sketchbook, really like that.

Hey, why am I arguing for or against. It is 18kr here, same as Brushes. Get both.

C0rpus
09-17-2009, 08:07 PM
ya...not liking the idea of using fingers on the tiny screen. if you could use a stylus it would make it much more user friendly (even without pressure sensitivity).

but you can use a stylus! pogo stylus (http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php)

C0rpus
09-17-2009, 08:33 PM
try colors!, seriously... you can get almost perfect grads with it.. oh and it has stroke playback :P

g

Nice! the tilt/opacity control in colors! is pretty sweet, but I still prefer the actual strokes in sketchbook. The great thing is you can pass your image around between apps, and the price of layers, colors!, and sketchbook combined is only 13 bones.

SmallPoly
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I picked up SBM earlier today. I was also half surprised they charge $3 since that doesn't follow their usual pricing scheme.

I've documented the pros and cons of most of the major iPhone painting apps in this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6110326#post6110326), and will be doing one for SBM in the near future, to keep the reviews all in the same place.

SBM is good for a 1.0 version, but IMHO is no more the perfect app than any of the other programs.

AlysonOctopus
09-18-2009, 04:39 AM
That makes me want an IPhone.

cornel H.
09-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Awesome ! Best Autodesk application of 2009 !

cresshead
09-18-2009, 07:03 AM
i wonder if they'll do any 3d apps for the iphone/ipod touch

maybe a mudbox mobile version?

R10k
09-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Looks great.

Let's hope this does really well for AD, so the desktop apps can receive a similar pricing scheme :)

skello
09-18-2009, 07:31 AM
I must say the ui is the coolest and most intuitive i've tried yet. Now if only thee was a stylus for the damn iphone. It is great even using fat fingers. Great price for what it can do compared to the overpriced colors. Cool App!!

cresshead
09-18-2009, 02:01 PM
I must say the ui is the coolest and most intuitive i've tried yet. Now if only thee was a stylus for the damn iphone. It is great even using fat fingers. Great price for what it can do compared to the overpriced colors. Cool App!!

There ARE!...several options
>> http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php

http://tenonedesign.com/images/white3g_gun_hand_small.png
http://tenonedesign.com/images/Black_Iso_Small.png

MrJames
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Downloaded this today, looking forward to doodling on my commute.

Geta-Ve
09-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a pogo stylus and I don't think it works all that great. I find that I have to press fairly hard to make the screen do anything. I just wish there was something else that would give me finer control + not having to press so hard.

SBM however is a great app, you can't go wrong for the price of a few chocolate bars. :)

Br1
09-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Not buying more painting apps untill I find a decent Stylus... Tried the free version which looks nice, but again I want a stylus (and not that thick Pogo thingy).

cresshead
09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
I have a pogo stylus and I don't think it works all that great. I find that I have to press fairly hard to make the screen do anything. I just wish there was something else that would give me finer control + not having to press so hard.

SBM however is a great app, you can't go wrong for the price of a few chocolate bars. :)

interesting..the stylus not working so good then?
is there anyway to set up the ipod touch/iphone or
the app itself to be more responsive to the stylus?

unseenthings
09-18-2009, 03:56 PM
How does it compare to Layers or Brushes? I'm skeptical as there really isn't all that much space on the screen to do much more than what's already out there. I love the desktop sketchbook program. Just not sure it translates to a tiny screen all that well.
I don't have Layers, but I'm a huge fan of Brushes, especially 2.0 -- As far as this one goes, there's a free version of this one that's basically the same except the paid version has a gallery to store images internally, a lot more brushes and a whole slew of brush options. It does have layers (6 if you have a 3GS, 3 if you do not) but as far as I can tell, there's no way to adjust opacity on the layers. I'd be very surprised if that didn't change in the next release. The output is still pretty small (unless you have a 3GS, again) so Brushes beats it hands down in the ability to replay it on the computer and get a much larger version... also, there are only 10 undo/redo steps, and I'm certain brushes has a lot more than that. All that aside, this is not a bad little app, especially for $3. I expect the next version or two will be a lot more useful, but the brushes there now are quite responsive -- I *love* the airbrush, it's very, very, very nice. (and in the free version). Oh, and it has symmetry, which is pretty nice and fun for random doodles... I think all in all, it's a nice compliment to Brushes, again, especially for $3 :) I don't see me turning my back on brushes anytime soon, but this one will definitely have it's place in my iPhone sketching arsenal :)

And you can always check out the free version -- if you like that, you'll like the full.

Geta-Ve
09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
interesting..the stylus not working so good then?
is there anyway to set up the ipod touch/iphone or
the app itself to be more responsive to the stylus?

Unfortunately not. :/

There was a home made stylus option I saw awhile ago that involved dental floss and I may try that out. But the pogo is just not responsive enough, and too fat. :P

However it IS more precise than a finger, so I will keep using it until I find something better.

Gwot
09-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately not. :/

However it IS more precise than a finger, so I will keep using it until I find something better.

Exactly. Better than using my finger, so I keep using it too. 10 bucks makes it worth it for that. I don't think we'll see any better until the screens support pressure sensitivity.

talos72
09-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh well, I think I am still better off lugging around my Toshiba tablet pc for mobile sketching.

cresshead
09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
i take my nintendo DS as a sketch hardware platform..using colors, animatee and flipnote.

SmallPoly
09-19-2009, 11:32 PM
i take my nintendo DS as a sketch hardware platform..using colors, animatee and flipnote.

I generally do the same -- the (real) pressure sensitivity is nice :-D

visualride
09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Does anyone seriously expect AutoDesk to be as responsive as the makers of Brush, and others at updating their product? Remember, AutoDesk is the one that takes 10 releases of Max to fix such basic problems as being able to pick what is under your cursor the first click.

FRimasson
09-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Will they launch also a Mobile Mudbox ?

Rhs_CG
09-23-2009, 05:46 AM
The SBP team is VERY responsive and awesome to work with. The amount of user input they take into account, and how much they apply, is staggering.

SmallPoly
09-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Will they launch also a Mobile Mudbox ?

That one would surprise me. I'd like to see a low-poly modeling app for the iphone.

visualride
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
There is a low poly modeling program of sorts called iTracer. Now if they would just include splines and edge editing tools, it would be very nice to have. Hmmm, I can imagine the new Zspheres2 on the iPhone...

madheavy
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Does anyone seriously expect AutoDesk to be as responsive as the makers of Brush, and others at updating their product? Remember, AutoDesk is the one that takes 10 releases of Max to fix such basic problems as being able to pick what is under your cursor the first click.

just 2 or 3 days ago they put out a free update with layer opacity and PSD export support. I got a stylus to draw with but it wasnt responsive. Now I can use my finger and getting better everyday.

lostpencil
05-07-2010, 03:06 PM
That one would surprise me. I'd like to see a low-poly modeling app for the iphone.
Ask and you will receive (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=239&t=879929)... <exit shameless self promotion mode>

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 03:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.