PDA

View Full Version : Irradiance Particles/Importons vs. Final Gather vs. Global Illumination

rainydaze
09-16-2009, 04:03 AM
I just wanted to open up a general discussion on what advantages irradiance particles and importons have over Final Gather and Global Illumination in Maya 2009.

I've generally used Final Gather for my diffuse lighting, with the occasion of using additional global illumination. I'm just starting to integrate importons into my workflow and I just wanted to know what people thought about them, what advantages they offer, and any down sides to using them.

jeremybirn
09-16-2009, 04:43 AM
Use whatever works for your needs.

Over the years, Mental Images has seemed to improve the FG in almost every version, while the photon-based GI seems to have stayed basically the same for many years. Even though FG was introduced as a companion to GI to help smooth the GI out, it seems like every year you can do more things with just the FG by itself. I don't know if this is because of a grand vision MI has, or just because the people who created the GI left a long time ago, but that's the direction they seem to be taking MR.

-jeremy

rainydaze
09-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Yea, up to this point, Final Gather seems to work fine for my needs, though I feel that my work could benefit a lot from more color bleeding. IR/Importons seems to be the new kind on the block, and from what I read and tested, the irradiance particles seem to act a lot like the final gather rays, no?

For anyone that is interested, after searching other forums for some side by side tests, I found this nice tread on the mental images forum about Importons. It's probably tacky to just link another tread, but here it is...

http://forum.mentalimages.com/showthread.php?t=4757

Use whatever works for your needs.

Over the years, Mental Images has seemed to improve the FG in almost every version, while the photon-based GI seems to have stayed basically the same for many years. Even though FG was introduced as a companion to GI to help smooth the GI out, it seems like every year you can do more things with just the FG by itself. I don't know if this is because of a grand vision MI has, or just because the people who created the GI left a long time ago, but that's the direction they seem to be taking MR.

-jeremy

PS - I, as well as a lot of my friends in the industry, always have your book on hand.

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2009, 05:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.