PDA

View Full Version : Hey new here with a RAM question

Nimisp3000
09-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Hey this is my first post. So I use an 8 core Mac Pro and I just upgraded from 6gb to 14gb, but when I render in Maya and After Effects, the computer doesn't use all of the RAM. Is there a setting I have to adjust for the applications to use the extra RAM? Any help would be great.

-Thanks!

niva
09-16-2009, 01:49 AM
The amount of RAM being used in your system is determined by the complexity of the scene being managed (modeled or rendered). Generally speaking rendering is a CPU intensive task a lot more so than a memory intensive one. Of course I don't do 3d very much so someone more qualified should answer for you shortly.

mister3d
09-16-2009, 02:06 AM
The amount of RAM being used in your system is determined by the complexity of the scene being managed (modeled or rendered). Generally speaking rendering is a CPU intensive task a lot more so than a memory intensive one. Of course I don't do 3d very much so someone more qualified should answer for you shortly.
If you render fur, or using lots of unique geometrical trees, or using lots of hi-res textures, it may eat ram fast. For example mental ray and vray can load up 12-15 bitmaps 6000x6000 (solely) if you have 2 gigs of ram. 14 gb is pretty good imo.

dan1el
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
both application mentioned are 32-bit applications (on OSX), and can't use more than 4 GB each

Nimisp3000
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the help! I googled around a bit and it looks like you're right, thats too bad. At least CS5 will be 64x, but no one knows about Maya. However, both applications support 64x on Windows, time to run boot camp!

olson
09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the help! I googled around a bit and it looks like you're right, thats too bad. At least CS5 will be 64x, but no one knows about Maya. However, both applications support 64x on Windows, time to run boot camp!

After Effects is 32-bit on Windows as well. If you render with more than one "thread" then After Effects will launch multiple instances of itself which is where the extra memory comes in handy. Hopefully After Effects will be 64-bit and have true multithreaded rendering (not just launching multiple instances of itself). Cheers!

aglick
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
After Effects CS3 and CS4 can use all the RAM you have in your system (depending on the scene) by using up to 4GB PER rendering thread (per frame) for each core in your system.

You can dial-in the amount of RAM you want each rendering thread to use.

Check out the multiprocessing & memory options in your Preferences section.

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.