PDA

View Full Version : Final Gather Problem

stjoe85
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I hope someone can help me with the problem im facing. I created a Model using Maya 2008 and rounded the Edges with the Bevel-Tool. In the rendersettings i enabled Final Gather to give it a nice look when rendered. Sadly this produces some dark/dirty spots on the surface as you can see on the pictures. Is that normal?

I thought it has to do with the extreme long Faces that build the beveled edge, but even subdividing them into small quadrats didn't help to get rid of the dark sports.

Does anyone have a solution? I'm thankfull for any ideas.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/3922164343_a74b356294_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/3922949774_d1d9f8d916_o.jpg

satum
09-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I had a similar problem in Max, vertices were the problem. I just tweaked their positions a little and everything smoothed out. However, I've never used Maya, so it may not be the issue.

phix314
09-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Interesting mesh...

What have you done to try to correct the issue inside the render settings? What version of Maya? Are your normals okay?

stjoe85
10-20-2009, 09:32 AM
vertices are definately not the problem, i played around with them alot, also the normals are okay.

I could fix the problem meanwhile, but i guess its a bad solution. I set the Final Gather Points in the rendersettings from 1 up to 3 or 4 wich makes the dark spots disappear. The bad thing is, this increases the rendertimes.

i figured out that these spots only appear with standard materials and not with MR materials.

any other ideas out there how to fix that problem?

@phix314:what do you mean with "interesting mesh"? :) what can i do better?

ndeboar
10-20-2009, 10:56 AM

that almost soild black line of edges looks a little scary to me, surley you could make that a bit more efficently? Also clean geo = smooth renders.

pid18000
10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Have you tried with UV mapped ?

phix314
10-30-2009, 10:18 PM

While ngons and tris aren't really looked down upon too much in hard surface modeling, theres a few bajilligons in there, most notably the closest corner to the camera. Quads still reign king, and it's possible to get a cleaner mesh (which would take some of your rendering artifacts out) with fewer polygons.

For example, instead of using many edges to dictate the shape of the rounded corner, you can add one or two (maintaining quads) and a few support edges so when/if you smooth it, it will still hold that shape. Same with the quarter-pipe shape in the center (farther from the camera). 2 or 3 edges would be enough to define that shape, again depending if you want to go the smoothing route.

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2009, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.