PDA

View Full Version : raiders

renall
09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi
heres something im working on - would appreciate any crits that might help with finishing it off, or generally cleaning it up.
was going for a nice side lit valley floor chase scene
have spent the least time painting the rider so far...i think the hand on the egg is still a little off.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/671/dinochase26.jpg

SpiritHunter
09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Renall, this painting is awesome. Reminds me of paintings done of my hometown :) It really looks like you don't need to do much to it if anything at all. It's probably the reason why nobody's posted here yet, it looks that done. Therefore, don't take my suggestions too seriously, especially since I don't know everything about what you're trying to accomplish and all my suggestions are subtle.

I would work on some areas that seem to have a flat appearance.

-One area would be the triceratops head-flap (for lack of a better word). The pattern on it is great, looks real, but the general value of it is the same, making it look kinda flat. Lighten it up on the top with the sky color, or darken the side to make it look round.

-Also, since the triceratops is just emerging out of that shadow, you should brighten up his face to follow that lighting, or darken the rest of his body or both. The values are too similar.

-The egg is another area. Darken the right side in this lighting condition.

-The hat has the same issue, darken the right side.

-You're right about the hand, the finger crack (again for lack of a better word) goes back past the crook of his thumb which is not anatomically correct.

-The other hand is hard to read--I can't tell how many fingers there are.

-The cloud whites in center are bright enough to distract, I would tone that down.

-Triceratops' horn appears off-center, scoot it to the left.

Attached is a dirty mock up of what I was talking about.

It's a great painting, it doesn't need much help really.

I hope this helps! Please post your final version!

renall
09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks for all the great ideas there spirithunter
much appreciated :-)
heres the final version - pretty much, mostly because my eyes have gone all squinty from fiddling with this image too much.
lots and lots of small tweaks done, like moving legs, and hands and changing the shape of the jaw line....the list goes on and on...
the biggest struggle was to push the triceratops back into the scene without loosing too much detail....could probably do better, but its a real fine balancing act with that.
theres still some small issues mainly related to depth of field and saturation etc......but overall im happy to call it finished
anyway heres the image:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/421/dinochasefinal2s2.jpg

Pttr
09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
This turned out really good. The hand is much better now. The cliff in the background to the right looks a little unfinished because it doesn't really have the same detail as the rest of the background. Also I think the rider's jacket and hat feel a bit flat and I think they could use some more shading work. Other than that, an amazing image, very good work!

SpiritHunter
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
:applause:Very nice! I think the hat design change was wise, it's iconic and more common around my nick of the woods.

The adjustments you made to the triceratops' body increased its depth; he really looks like he's coming at you now. The form of the dino in front is much easier to figure out now that you've put a layer of dust in front of his hind legs.

A memorable picture, I kinda wish I was riding along with her. I'll be sure to drop by your portfolio every now and then.

I would be very grateful if you could please take a look at a piece I've been working on and loathing for several months :D, as well as consider some of the things people have said about it: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=31&t=808489

-D

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.