PDA

View Full Version : GPU power for accelerating ray-tracing? Speed isn't everything

robynblue71
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Harnessing GPU power might speed up the rendering processes but speed isnít everything. What if you donít want to have to rerender your image after each change you make? The real challenge lies in freeing the artist from the render-change-repeat workflow and giving them more time to be creative.

Shaderlight enables users to change key attributes of a full resolution image at any stage of the rendering process without ever having to re-render. When changes are made to materials, environments, lights or textures, the information embedded in each pixel is used to update the image without the need to re-render.

Click here (http://www.pddnet.com/news-blog-harnessing-gpu-power-for-accelerating-ray_thouching-091409/) to read more on the Product Design & Development (http://www.pddnet.com/news-blog-harnessing-gpu-power-for-accelerating-ray_thouching-091409/) website.

duke
09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Indeed, but the uptake of shaderlight will be at best, poor, unless ArtVPS change across to a production renderer like MR or VRay. I never got why they didn't just make it a MR or VRay plugin in the first place. Who the hell wants to implement a new renderer/pipeline now?

CHRiTTeR
09-14-2009, 08:07 PM
meh, faster renders actually solve that same problem of having to re-render.
Because it renders fast enough so you can have a semi realtime update and thus can make adjustments and tweaks on the fly
Look at vray rt for example.

duke
09-15-2009, 04:14 AM
meh, faster renders actually solve that same problem of having to re-render.
Because it renders fast enough so you can have a semi realtime update and thus can make adjustments and tweaks on the fly
Look at vray rt for example.

VRay RT is far from realtime, and the GPU based one isn't a product yet.

CHRiTTeR
09-15-2009, 05:22 PM
VRay RT is far from realtime, and the GPU based one isn't a product yet.

thats why i said semi-realtime and it updates fast enough to preview tweaks and changes.

CHRiTTeR
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
ok, i've checked out the video on youtube (was on a smallband connection), appearently i got the wrong impression from that article. and I must say it does indeed look cool.

CGTalk Moderation
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.