PDA

View Full Version : What is the best lighting setup for this scene

tatlin1919
09-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi
I just finished the basic modeling of this amphitheater(3ds max 2009), I started to set up my lighting but the results are disappointing(V-ray).what do you recommend for lighting set up for this scene?
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/680/intq.jpg
I put the max file if you want to test it yourself.
as you can see it doesn't have any windows.
thanks

CHRiTTeR
09-14-2009, 12:06 AM
are those omni/sphericall lights? Try using spots...

It will result in a more contrasty lighting solution.

Also, its quite normal that an room entirely in the same color, without any reflections or anything and with not much special going on looks quite 'boring'.

jeremybirn
09-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Try modeling some spotlights mounted to the ceiling. Your models might be as simple as some black cylinders, but then they give you the source for the light aimed at the stage, and you can work on adding lights (and optical effects and fog) to them. Beyond that, some soft bounce light coming back from the stage (a few area lights) and maybe some little red lights near the exits could help.

-jeremy

tatlin1919
09-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Thank you CHRiTTeR and special thanks to jeremy,I'm a big fan :)
I will try these and post my new scene.

tatlin1919
09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi dear friends
I worked on the same project a little more and here is a new render, I used Vray as usual.How can I add glow to my lights on the ceiling? They are not actually lights, I assigned Vraylightmtl to them and I don't know if I can add glow to them or not.
and please tell me how can I improve overall lighting of this scene.
Thanks

http://i34.tinypic.com/ot0nxl.jpg

tatlin1919
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
anybody? :curious:

CHRiTTeR
10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
in short:

render to floating point exr.
open in photoshop
adjust gamma if needed
duplicate layer
change layer blending mode of the duplicated layer to screen
blur the duplicated layer
lower the exposure of the duplicated layer until you get the amount of 'glow' you are satisfied with.

This is just a quick and basic way to do it (and the easiest to explain imho). There are many ways you can do it.
You can also mask out or erase parts on the second layer where you dont want any glow etc...

Btw, why use vraylightmtl for those lights? its better to use normal vraylights (or ies lights)instead for this.

tatlin1919
10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks a lot CHRiTTeR :thumbsup: I didn't know this technique and it helped me a lot!
The VrayLightMtl that I used for lights are just for color and my lighting are based on vraylights(plane) and the reason I mentioned : it is not possible to add glow lens effect to them.
I think I have to improve my photoshop techniques.

MikeBracken
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/blog/

There is a quick tutorial for adding the glare shader to a vray render on my blog.

Regards,
Mike

tatlin1919
10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Mike, great tips and tricks, I tested your glare method on my scene.That is an interesting way to add glow effect for Vray but the downside is you can't control the result as you could with chritter's technique. e.g. I have a bright floor and adding glare this way my floor becomes VERY bright.but it could be helpful in some other situations. :thumbsup:

MikeBracken
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
You can save out the glare pass seperately and mask out the parts that you dont need in PS.
And because you are able to render the glare pass so fast, you could do multiple passes as well. But I do agree that doing this completely in post gives much more control. I always do this kind of thing in Combustion of Toxic.

Regards,
Mike

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.