PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fine UV layout for ZBrush?

sumeetkaur
09-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Hello everyone.I have prepared a model of an animal to sculpt and texture in ZBrush. I have laid down its UVS. But I dont know whether it would work fine with ZBrush.
Plz check the UV layout and give your much needed feedback.:)

sumeetkaur
09-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Do I need to stich each and every part of the model's UVs ...?:)

sumeetkaur
09-13-2009, 03:27 AM
A mere yes or no can be of great help for a biggner like me...........:rolleyes:

anoon
09-13-2009, 04:58 AM
That's fine, though regardless of ZBrush, there's a lot of wasted UV space. Also, it is always best to stitch as much as possible together.

sumeetkaur
09-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks a lot anoon for the timely help. I will stich the pieces of UVs together and take my model to ZBrush for sculpting and texturing:)

sumeetkaur
09-13-2009, 10:09 AM
But I was just wondering is there a difference in the way UVs are laid out if I want to texture my model in both ZBrush and Photoshop separately.............????

Tegre
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't HAVE to layout your UV's perfect or in one unit. The benefit of laying out your UV into one piece (or as few pieces as possible) is to help with hiding texture seams, or more importantly how easily they may help blend the texture between each seam. If you're doing your painting ONLY in Zbrush this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you do any editing in Photoshop, its going to be more difficult to blend the seams with them being further apart.

Sculpting across texture seams also may cause some problems while sculpting and as well as generating your normal/displacement maps

Something I can't tell is if you have any overlapping UV's. Zbrush doesn't like overlapping UV's. So you may want to check your verticies, just in case.

I agree with anoon, there is a lot of wasted space, and you may want to spred out some of the UV's that are closer together. Again, just in case you wanted to edit in Photoshop. Or in case you're trying to put more detail in an area. a more properly laid out UV will allow the map to contain more info. It maybe ok to start with, but if you're going to use the model and the laid out UV's and not retopologize the model, the UV's are ok, not the best, and they could use some work.
basically, spread out your UV's, you have all that unused texture area and its just wasted data that takes up filespace

sumeetkaur
09-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks a lot Tegre. You gave a huge help. You cleared out most of my doubts.:bowdown::applause:

Tegre
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Your welcome. I still have a little doubt about what I said, I would say try putting fine detail (like say spots) and see how it translate back and forth between the render, Photoshop and Zbrush so you can get a better idea of how beneficial the space that you aren't using will be.

Something else to consider is that you don't have to keep the original shape. The horns on the head of your creature do not have to curve, they can actually be straight pillars. You may see some slight distortion, but you'll get a better idea. It sounds like this will be your first UV, so EXPERIMENT! lol. Were artists after all and it's all apart of what we do.

If you want a more formal explanation... I know the Gnomon Workshop just released 2 DVD's on laying out UV's. I'm not sure what their international rates are, but I can say that I have yet to come across a bad Gnomon DVD.

The program used is Maya. However the principles could be applied to other programs as well.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/570/
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/572/

sumeetkaur
09-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Well thanks again Tegre. Yes this is my first actual Uv layout. And I will follow your advise and experiment with my UVs.

I have heard a lot of good praise about Gnomon DVDs. And at times I would often give a serious thought about buying one. But then I would get hesitent and drop the thought. But now I think I should try out gnomon DVDs.:)

paulhart
09-15-2009, 02:31 AM
All of the above suggestions are helpful. Temporarily, it is very useful to apply a "test pattern" color map to your current UV solution to see where there may be excess pinching or distortion, inside of what ever program you are using. Zoom in and make sure that there aren't any overlaps, stretch out some of those "crunched areas," stitch together any edges that you can that don't cause uncomfortable distortions, play with it with the "grid-1024 (http://www.hartworks.net/res/grid-1024.jpg)" pattern applied and you will see where the biggest problems might be. UV'ing is about using the tools, playing with the different solutions of where the seams should go, different projections, etc. Your first effort looks like a good start.
(While Maya, and other programs have color cues "red/blue" what I posted on my site and is available by clicking on the link, is a test pattern used to check out UV distortions. I have included a lower-res. version (256) (full res.1024 at link above) below to make sure you get the idea, I am not talking about the built in color cue, which is helpful, but applying this texture temporarily to check layout and fit. Hope this explanation helps.)
http://www.hartworks.net/res/grid-256.jpg
Paul

sumeetkaur
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Thank you Paulhart. I am using Maya as my 3D application. Yes I have some knowledge about '' test pattern' color map in Maya UV Texture Editor, where some pieces turn blue and others red.
Yes I will make sure there are no overlaps.Thanks again for the feedback.:)

CGTalk Moderation
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.