PDA

View Full Version : How should i go about unwrapping this?

Helioss
09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I cant texture this without some parts stretching..anyhelp? Thank you.

Piflik
09-12-2009, 11:26 PM
A cylindrical mapping for most of it...at the top you'll either have some stretching or distortion, you decide (I'd go with stretching ;)). Theoretically you could eliminate stretching and distortion, but then you'd need many seams on the top part. The bottom part should be unwrapped separately. Use a planar Mapping (projected along the axis of the bottle), cut some seams and relax.

Helioss
09-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks.. Assume i know nothing of texturing.. as far as unwrapping goes.. so i cut seams, and make a pelt map?

Piflik
09-12-2009, 11:40 PM
You can also Pelt it, but with that model it might be easier to use conventional mapping. Maybe for the bottom part.

(What software are you using anyway?)

Helioss
09-13-2009, 12:06 AM
3d studio max

Piflik
09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Then just add a UVW Unwrap Modifier on the Stack, select all faces of the bottle except for the bottom part and click on 'Cylinder'. Fit it to the bottle and you should basically be done with the upper part (maybe you'll have to clean up the seam, weld some Vertices...but nothing serious). The Top will show some stretching, but I think it'll be acceptable. If you want to you can use 'Relax' to even the UVs, but you'll lose the nice straight seam and you will get some distortion instead (select the uppermost row of faces and use 'Soft Selection' for Relaxing...that way it'll blend nicely into the main body of the bottle and will not be too distorting).
Select the remaining faces and click on Planar. Align it to Z. In the Edit UVW Window, select some radial loops and 'break' them, then use 'Relax' to even out the UVs.

Another thing you can try, would be LSCM unwrapping. It is not part of Max by default, but theres a Plugin (http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmax#lscm) (based on Blender) that does that. You'll just have to mark the seams that you want, and the Plugin will find a quite OK-ish unwrap. Not perfect (mostly), but possibly good enough. If you need a tutorial, you can go here (http://www.raylightgames.com/xrayunwrap/video.htm) . It is a commercial Plugin that does more or less the same as the free one above. The tutorials should work ;).

Helioss
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks a lot i really appreciate the help:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.