PDA

View Full Version : Programmer looking for Partnership with Artist (not making a Game or Film)

euphoria
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello all!!!

(MODS: please move this to the appropriate section if this is not it, I apologize for the inconvenience )

I have browsed this place for a few years now but have never really had a need to register until now that I have decided to start a new venture.

As the title states, I'm looking for a co-founder that has a pretty wide range of artistic abilities but primarily focuses on 3D artwork and animation (basically someone who is able to take care of the entire artistic side, from concepts, basic models, to fully skinned and rigged animated compositions). I have given this a lot of thought and while I could in theory do the basic models, skinning, and animations, myself (I love CG but at the moment it's just a hobby and I'm not very good at it), I realize this part of the project is just as important as the programming side given that the image and identity of the "virtual" characters is key. Having said that, I believe the project should be pretty exciting and flexible for an artist who is self directed--I would prefer to work locally side by side with the artist but I am aware that this place is full of very talented people from all over the world.

In short the idea is to create a virtual "companion/assistant" (I'm using these terms loosely) in the form of a creature (if you are interested and want more details, please don't hesitate to PM me). The starting platform for this project will be an iPhone application coupled with a web application, later to be complemented by desktop versions (Facebook integration through an application is also a possibility given that I have some experience with them). I'm located in the Bay Area, California, and if you need more information on whether I'm competent enough and what my qualifications are, feel free to send me a PM.

As of the state of the project, currently, the core functionality of the iPhone application is complete (a few bugs here and there) and I'm working to add a bit more advanced functionality but I'm currently mainly focusing on developing the web application (which I'm writing from scratch myself but mostly leveraging another framework I have been working on for an open source project). If you are also a competent web designer, that would be a plus.

I'm not going to lie and say there is not a lot of work yet to still be done, but on the other hand, I could release what I have now at this point with really bad artwork, however that would not be very satisfying and would defeat the entire purpose of working on this in the first place. I know the first release won't be perfect, but with an artist working on the artwork while I polish the application, I believe this will be great.

As far as what still needs to be done, if you must know, I still have to do a bit more work on the iPhone side to integrate the artists work with interactivity via the OpenGL ES library (almost there, but not quite). Then I must complete the web application and integrate/network it with the iphone application.

I should say this is not a paid position given that I myself wont get paid until we start making money (yes, there is a revenue model, again, PM me if you have questions). I myself have already spent a lot of my own time and some money on this, and I'm confident we can make it big. After all, this project is just the start of a bigger vision, but everything must start somewhere. So, in short, this is much more than just another iPhone application, but given the opportunity provided by the App Store, I believe this is the best place to start this vision.

Thanks all,

Please send me a PM if you are interested at all or if you might know someone who could be... samples of work and experience would be appreciated.

Ilive
09-13-2009, 01:51 AM
You said the app is already functioning but with crappy graphics. You should share what it does with the crappy graphics.

Is it already working and simply needs a few models to replace it with the crappy images?
If that is the case I think there are some folks who can help.

I say share it with the community and see what they think. Just to know you have something working already and simply want to replace the bad graphics with good ones may be great.

And folks have made money off Iphone Apps. It's a great market right now. Especially when you keep stuff simple.

euphoria
09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, I think you are right about keeping things simple. Unfortunately I would like to keep the idea a bit private (perhaps this is not something I should be worried about and maybe next time I'll be wiser in this regard) so I'm just talking to people who are interested via PM.

Thanks to those who have replied, some are very interested and we are already talking a bit more.. but I'll keep this open for a bit longer.... in case there are any late comers.... ... I think things should turn out well :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.