Let's see a mesh!;)

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Wrong image...
Check it out again if the server lets you

-R

Signal2Noise
08-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Alrighty then! I take my original comment back. I agree with the blurb: This movie concept sounds truly lame.:thumbsdow

Tex3D
08-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Is that a render or a painted image??? It looks like promo art?

I dunno about this!! HIs head looks weird!!
:eek:

I love Garfield ...(what of it?) so I REALLY hope they don't screw this up.

-Dave

Actually, now that Harry mentions it...Ileana Douglas and Steve Buscemi WOULD kick arse!!:applause:

Goon
08-08-2003, 07:24 PM
"Adding a new layer of intrigue to this year's CG confab, which runs through Thursday, is the industrywide consensus that the one surefire formula for boxoffice success these days is animated 3-D comedies.Looking at upcoming slates, development execs are weighing the $310 million netted to date by Pixar Animation Studios' "Finding Nemo" against the sobering $24 million claimed by DreamWorks Animation's 2-D action-adventure "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas." Prevailing theory is that all roads lead to jokes told by cute multidimensional CG characters."
Full Art Here (http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=431&)

Its just another money grubbing cash cow. Means more jobs, but ugh, its going to hurt the industry in the long run.

FloydBishop
08-08-2003, 09:31 PM
I think that image is a pre-viz painting... look at the sunglasses.

The first bit of artwork that was available for "Ice Age" was from a crappy brochure that didn't do the real visuals any favors. This is probably the case here as well (I hope).

SirLankyIII
08-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Ah just more to pissed off at...

This movie should have been totally CG, theres no way live actors can do the characters justice, they don't have the same look and feel.

And last i heard only garfield was being done in CG... nermal and odie as real animals... they sure as hell better not be!

It's gunna have to be a damn fine movie for me to actually like this, i've read nearly all the garfield comic books and they are gold. I don't think these actors will be able to do the characters justice.

SuperMax
08-09-2003, 03:03 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/2003/ga030802.gif

hehehe

what a loser cat

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh garfield. You gotta love him

SuperMax
08-09-2003, 03:16 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/1978/ga780619.gif

This is the first ever garfield Comic back in June 19th 1978

Times have changed havent they?

PHILL_JAMES2000
08-09-2003, 11:43 PM
seriously, what part of "This sucks!!!!" didn't someone understand?!? Do the people making this 'seriously' believe it's a good idea to have Garfield looking like that? How deluded are some people?!?!? On another matter, did anyone have the old Garfield 8-bit game? if so, then, what the heck were you supposed to do?!?!? grrrr.....

dmaas
08-10-2003, 03:17 AM
...industrywide consensus that the one surefire formula for boxoffice success these days is animated 3-D comedies...
Um, no. The surefire formula for boxoffice success is make a good movie. :rolleyes:

FloydBishop
08-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by dmaas
Um, no. The surefire formula for boxoffice success is make a good movie. :rolleyes:

Not so... look at the numbers for "Iron Giant", arguably the best animated film ever made:

"Iron Giant, The"
Released in US August 4, 1999
Total US Gross $23,159,305
US Distributor Warner Bros.
Production Budget $50,000,000
Worldwide Gross $23,159,305

If you market crap correctly, people will flock to it like flies, that's why so many bad movies do so well. It's all about the marketing. Sad but true.

Source for box office data:
http://www.the-numbers.com

KolbyJukes
08-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Floyd's got it right. Making a good movie doesn't ensure success - stars, marketing and hype do - need I site examples?

-Kol.

To keep this thread on topic: It looks like production art to me, i seriously doubt that's CG, probably just a mock up poster.

NUKE-CG
08-11-2003, 04:32 AM
I think it's easy to assume that this movie will suck, but I love Garfield, that fat, hairy bastard has made me laugh my whole life, I wish the movie luck.

I don't mind the concept of just the animals being digital, John (Garfield's owner) doesn't require any amazing cartoon like abilities, and neither does the surroundings.

This movie reminds me of Stuart Little.

jeremybirn
08-11-2003, 05:44 AM
I try not to judge a movie before it comes out, but the plan sounds kindof like "Scooby Doo" - animated animals play the cartoon animals, but then people try to play the other cartoon characters. Never let a man do a toon's job, I say.

-jeremy

Goon
08-11-2003, 05:30 PM
That was a quote. I posted it because i see this as a movie riding this supposed I-wanna-be-like-pixar-and-make-$300million-per-movie-garuanteed-cause-its-3d-animation/comedy trend.

MarkusM
08-12-2003, 08:30 AM
It's hard to judge a project before it's out there. Certainly this early. I'm with Jeremy on this one.

On the other hand, Chris Bailey (Kim Possible, Might Joe Young, Runaway Brain, Major Damage, and much more) is working in the project at R&H. And this is a guy who's talent can never be underestimated. If anyone can make this work he can. I'd work on any of his projects in a heart beat. And R&H does fantastic animals work. So the only question is what the client wants to see on screen. We'll have to wait and see.

Markus

eliseu gouveia
08-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Nah, this movie´s gonna flop.
NOBODY is gonna buy that they´re seeing a 15 feet tall hulking mass of green.......... Oooops.

Signal2Noise
08-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Maybe the movie should be called "A Pussy With Attitude" instead of 'Garfield'. And don't show any trailers. People would flock to see that.

What? What??? I'm talking about a cat! Yeah, that's it...;)

FloydBishop
08-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Having him hate Mondays, eat lasagna, and push Odie off the table will only cover the first 5 minutes. What are they going to do for the rest of the film? Maybe Garfield will have to save Christmas?

http://members.tripod.com/~tammy_lynn/garsanta.gif

Martin_G_3D
08-12-2003, 07:01 PM
His nose is way too small!

a cat's nose is way bigger then that

Joviex
08-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
Maybe the movie should be called "A Pussy With Attitude" instead of 'Garfield'.

Yeah but people will most likely mistake that for a new J-Ho movie.

Signal2Noise
08-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Do you mean "Jiggly"? :D

NUKE-CG
08-13-2003, 07:30 AM
NUKE-CG purrrrrs

Soulstorm
08-14-2003, 01:47 AM
i think it will most likely be about john meeting some girl and garfield spoils everything a la romantic comedy..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.