PDA

View Full Version : weird messagebox issue...

steev
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
if i eval this line...

messagebox ("There are no meshes selected!") title: "Select something!"

on my machine i get this messagebox...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146263&stc=1

on a co-workers machine, it evaluates fine with the all the text on one line. if i add a few \n's at the end of the string the messagebox on my machine looks like this...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146264&stc=1

on my rig, the dialog box width is getting fixed, causing the extra words to wrap & get covered up by the OK button. for the life of me, i can't figure this out. obviously there is some config or something that's set weird on my machine, but i have no idea which one. any one have any clues as to what is causing this?

SoLiTuDe
09-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Are you using some kind of custom windows skin?

steev
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
not really a "custom" UI - i have adjusted some colors using ame-dark as a base & saved it as the default.cui - but i can't find anything in there that would point to a messagebox setting (unless i'm missing something)

as a check, i loaded all the other default UI's & got the same weirdness with each one.

Kameleon
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
How about using dotnet ?

(
msgbox = dotnetclass "System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox"
msgboxbuttons = dotnetclass "System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons"
msgboxicons = dotnetclass "System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon"
msgbox.show "There are no meshes selected!" "Select something!" msgboxbuttons.OK msgboxicons.exclamation
)

SoLiTuDe
09-14-2009, 11:30 PM
not really a "custom" UI - i have adjusted some colors using ame-dark as a base & saved it as the default.cui - but i can't find anything in there that would point to a messagebox setting (unless i'm missing something)

as a check, i loaded all the other default UI's & got the same weirdness with each one.

I mean WINDOWS skin or theme, not max settings. I'm just wondering if the messagebox is getting confused by some custom WINDOWS theme or something

steev
09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
ah! you've hit on something. yes i do have a custom windows theme, however nothing crazy or elaborate (mainly changes the look of the startbar).

btw - the dotnet snippet produces the same results.

the interesting note, is i didn't start noticing this behavior until max 2010. for giggles, i ran both the mxs & dotnet messageboxes in 2009 and it works fine, however in '10 almost all of my messageboxes get truncated somehow. this is the only app i see this happening in.

not a blocker (since not many peeps in the studio use custom themes), just annoying. if anyone can point me to what i can change (short of removing the custom theme) i'd appreciate it. if not, it's an interesting note to jot down in the memory bank.

SoLiTuDe
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
They did obviously change some ui stuff in 2010, so who knows whats going on... just for kicks though, you should try with uber-default windows theme and see what happens.

otherwise, you could write up a pretty simple function to take a string and add the \n every X characters for you.

holycause
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm using 2010 as well and it's working fine.
try perhaps to write it like this:

messagebox "There are no meshes selected!" title: "Select something!"

but i don t think it will change anything :roll:

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.