PDA

View Full Version : IK follows as FK without snap

Tripple-I
09-11-2009, 05:52 AM
OK, This has been frustrating me for a few days, i KNOW there is an answer to it im just not seeing it.
I have an animator who prefers to work in IK only (understandably so) but would like the option for the IK arms to follow along as if they were FK. So I added a constraint with an sdk to turn it on and off, trouble is, when it switches, off or on, it snaps back instead of holding its place.
I have tried a few things to get around this,
1-an expression that makes a connection via connection editor, however it only runs when you hit play
2-condition node - had an offset/double transform
3-tried setting a key at the previous key frame, copying values and pasting after the switch but offset still there because the world space of the pivot changed
4-tried duplicating controller and copying all values after switch (this was just pure desparation) again, world space pivot offset

What im trying to do is have the arms follow like fk in IK mode, and when i switch out (so that they stick again) they are in the same position they were in, not back at the origin. OR when they are acting like ik should and you switch to follow mode they again stick and not fly off into offset-land.

Sorry for the rambling, weak explanation, thanks for playing.

GiantG
09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
FK/IK Matching is usually done with scriptjobs.

One disadvantage is that you will get Problem's when you want to use referencing.
Your scriptjobs won't work anymore. You manually have to adjust namespaces etc...

NolanSW
09-11-2009, 06:09 PM
If I understand correctly, the animator wants to pose in IK but the FK will be the one getting the keys. Sounds like IK/FK matching to me too but tweaked to handle they keying. I'd try and keep it as simple as possible and only place the controls when needed (through some script operation) and not follow all the time. Lends to a more flexible system as opposed to restricting it to these rules the arm has to follow all the time.

spiralof5
09-14-2009, 03:14 AM
do you have to use snapping? I know it's decidedly easier but if it is giving you grief........

I have a post about IK FK matching.......I'm busy now but I'll give it to you at some point. It's a real good video.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2009, 03:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.