PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Up-to-Date Vendor/Hardware recommendations

michaelaD
09-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Hello, I am seeking advice on buying a home computer workstation for myself to be used for 2D and 3D graphics (particulary Photoshop, Maya, ZBrush). I know next to nothing about how to go about the process of choosing the right hardware and where to purchase it from, other than that I need to make sure my hardware is approved to be compatible by the manufacturer of the software I intend to utilize. I know that I want a PC Desktop, I want something very powerful and professional grade, and budget is not an issue (although I don't want to get ripped off, I am able to afford top quality and service.)

I noticed that the entry on recommended vendors/manufacturers is dated to 2004 and at least one of the vendors seems to no longer exists so I thought I'd try my luck and ask for some guidance. As my knowledge/experience in hardware is very limited, I am concerned that it would not be wise for me to assemble the computer myself, unless there were services that could do it for me. I have heard some tell about Boxx, so if that is a good choice let me know.

Thank you!

biliousfrog
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
If you're not comfortable with building yourself and want a reliable workstation that is designed and built to work with computer graphics applications then BOXX is a great choice. My workstation has been rock-solid for the last 2.5 years and any issues have been dealt with promptly.

Lots of companies build professional workstations, HP, IBM, Dell etc. but BOXX machines are around the same price, built to your requirements, designed for CG applications and the support guys know the industry and software that you're using. I'd certainly recommend speaking with them about your requirements and see what they have to offer.

I'm sure that Adam would be happy to chip in with some suggestions.

michaelaD
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Thank you! That sounds like a good solution for me.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.