PDA

View Full Version : character 2d: snow scout & robostich

mo_pic
08-08-2003, 08:40 AM
I tried to post these two images on the gallery section, but itís like a 100 views and Iím on the 3rd page now and no answers. I would really like to get some feedback so this is hopefully the right place.
Iím going to delete the post in the gallery section.

Here are my 2 new concept art drawings of characters.
The first one is a robostrich Ė with a gun attached. I donít have to tell you that the ostrich fires the gun with his head in the sand.
The second one is a snow scout. Just a simple half man half wolf snow scout.

Both done mainly in Photoshop, but I used different techniques.

The ostrich was just a quick sketch, scanned and I just added some colors in PS. Time ~30 min.

The scout took me about 2 days to finish. First I did the head model in Zbrush, exported it into PS and started painting the rest of the body. It took me a while to develop a technique of painting all that fur. Iím posting a close-up of the hand to show you the fur detail.
I used a photo for the binoculars :blush: and the belt also started as a photo, but I repainted it a couple of times.

http://gpzoom.com.pl/strona/p/strus.jpg

http://gpzoom.com.pl/strona/p/scout_.jpg

http://gpzoom.com.pl/strona/p/fur_detail.jpg

mo_pic
08-13-2003, 09:45 PM
This should be the Out of focus critiques.

jellyfish
08-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi Mo-Pic,

I realize you are looking for feedback, but you are aware that this is the heavy-duty critiques section, right? If you have something in particular you want us to talk about, it might help us figure out what to tell you.

I can mention some stuff I noticed: First, of course, is the far leg on the ostrich, it is incomplete and not in the correct perspective and I think it's too short. The ostrich's weight is not balanced on the straight leg, he would fall over the way he is now. The hip-part of the far leg needs to move to the left and back to correspond with the implied width of the body. I think the perspective is skewed on the collar at the base of the neck (it should be facing more away from us). The toes are also far too small to balance that large body.

For the wolf, I like the fur, it looks like you put a lot of work into it, but the rest of him (esp the coat) is totally unfinished, and no amount of photoshop filters can fix that. You need to buckle down and think about the details in the non-fur parts of him, put as much effort into those as you did the fur, otherwise the piece really doesn't do justice to the work you did. Try making some nice leather stitching, patches for the coat, etc.

There's also something wrong with the perspective of the head and body. Are we looking down on him (as the head seems to indicate) or from the side/below (as the body indicates) ?

BTW: There's nothing to be ashamed of for using reference photos to create your work. Plenty of successful artists do. Of course, just placing a photo instead of using it as a template for your own painting is a no-no. Good job mentioning it to us, at least. :)

jellyfish

mo_pic
08-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Thanks Jellyfish.
This type of critique I like. Constructive and really helpful.
I will have to think about the coat. I was surprised how hard it is to find useful references of leather and fur coats on the net.
This bump effect isnít a filter itís a b&w layer with darken transfer mode.

Back to work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.