PDA

View Full Version : Please help to solve this with Boujou...

theistvanovics
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi,

I needed to do a film with a girl who take in her hand a gift box. In the final animation the gift box is a virtual box. The virtual box is animated in max. How can I do this tracking in boujou ?... if it is possible ? I maked a white paper box what i want to use for the film. Matter the paper box color or indifferent ? How can I track the paper box and change to virtual 3dmax one in the post production ?

Thank you,
Istvanovics

th3ta
09-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Just film her holding the real box you have made. Color doesnt matter. But good visible tracking markers do matter. Bring that footage into your tracking software and matchmove the 3d object to the real box.

theistvanovics
09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Can you tell me the workflow ?

ThallDesign
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
When I needed to do something similar I did this::

1) Create your box using thick cardboard, or PVC plastic, something RIGID, meaning it will stay straight and not deform. Creating your box out of printer paper or something else weak will just lead to a headache later. Place markers on each corner (0 to 7), as well as halfway down each corner (In between 7 and 4, or 4 and 5, or 3 and 2, etc.).

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7549/60143656.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

2) Track your scene normally to get the camera solve if you want to have a moving camera + object track. Remember to mask out your box in the scene so Boujou doesn't confuse those points with the environment that needs tracking. Remember to have some on-set measurements for scale, as well as an origin point and some sense of x/y/z co ordinates. You need at least enough scene information to tell Boujou X plane is this direction, Y plane is this direction, Z plane is this direction, etc.

3) After you get a solid environment track, export your track. In the export dialog, make sure MOVING CAMERA, STATIC SCENE is selected.

THE FUN PART::

4) Select that box mask you made earlier, right click it, and select INVERT, now Boujou will leave out everything in the entire scene except for the box. Re-do your feature track and camera solve. Don't forget to input some measurements of the box you wrote down in Scene Geometry (Known Length).

5) When you're happy with your track on the box, export your camera again this time chosing STATIC CAMERA, MOVING SCENE. This is important.

THE 3D PART::

6) Now import your scene track, and box track in 3d Studio Max. Change a viewport to your ENVIRONMENT CAMERA. When you scrub through your timeline you should see your environment tracking points stay still against the plate, while the box tracking points move along with the box. The Camera that is created for the Box track is unimportant, it's simply the tracking markers we want.

7) Now take your CG box, position it properly in your scene, then Parent the Boujou markers to the Box, so that your CG is now linked directly to the tracking point's movement.

I Hope this helps a bit. You should check out Boujou Tutorial #4 from their website. You need to register to download the Boujou DEMO and then you'll have access to the area with the demo, and 10 tutorials on how to use the basic features. Tutorial 4 deals with tracking a moving car in a scene that also has a moving camera. It's basically the same workflow I just walked you thorugh, but explained by someone from 2D3.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.