PDA

View Full Version : My First Fight Scene WIP

CallMeMarsh
09-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Hey guys, So i just decided to start a new project after getting inspired by some Tony Jaa movies. I'm going to do maybe a 20 or so second fight scene with a couple characters. I started blocking some stuff in last night and figured i'd see what you guys thought of it so far...c&c is very welcome and highly encouraged, tell me if u see anything not working guys! u kno how it can get looking at the same animation over and over again!

here's a couple links to what ive got thus far...

http://www.vimeo.com/6511578

http://www.vimeo.com/6511587

oh, btw, dont mind that both the characters look the same...im going to change their clothes, skin color, and hair so u can tell them apart...just got really excited with the animation and wanted to jump into it!

dbalmert
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
On the first one:

For the animation of the first few punches, the arcs seem woo wide. You can't generate much power with an arcing punch, but a straight punch can look to stiff and boring, so you have to find a good medium. Regardless, I think having a person swing thumb fist into an enemy's face isn't a good idea. Always lead with at least 2 knuckles unless you want broken a hand/fingers.

For a lot of the punching frames, the center of gravity (the pit of the neck) is over the non-weight bearing leg. It needs to shift.

For the first punch thrown (the right guy), he throws a punch right into the left guy's already-established block. That seems... not smart. Perhaps have the left guy shift INTO that block once the punch is starting to be thrown.

For the second one:

There's a frame after the first kick where he seems like he's antic'ing to leave the ground, but then he doesn't. The reason is because it rises up without establishing an arc. Trace the head arc and watch it. It needs to come further left before the high frame and it needs to ease down after it. Right now it pops.

Also, the first punch doesn't have any hip rotation behind it, which makes it appear very weak. A back handed strike especially needs a lot of hip for any power. He's essentially using just the torque of his elbow for a weak strike right into the opponent's block. I'd reassess the first strike. Change the footing for the first key, perhaps, so that he needs to hip twist into the strike.

The second guy should look to strike after the first sweep. Any time an opponent turns their back, it should set off alarm bells to strike. Otherwise, it makes him look like a bad fighter taking a foot to the face for no reason. At least if the left guy bated him into dropping his guard by turning his back, then you would feel some sympathy for the guy.

He needs at least a hand near the floor when he sweeps, otherwise, he would fall over if the kick DID connect. You can use this to push a really quick key frame with a lot of energy because he can drastically alter his center of gravity for it. Right now he just feels like he's just doing moves without the intention of hitting the opponent.

On the last pose, the upper body sillhouette doesn't look so good. It looks like he's trying to spook the dead body. Cock the far elbow toward the hip or something. You need to tweak it until you get something a little better.

Here's a suggestion (not sure if you want to take it) - he really telegraphs his sweep by looking down. Breaking eye contact in a fight scene needs to be done deliberately and well. In for the beginning, he just seems to look at his intended strike target, which makes it look like he's just going through the motions - not fighting.

By looking down (the way he is now), perhaps he's just really cocky, or maybe he's nervous or inexperienced. It all depends how you want the fighter to appear.

Another "if you want to" thing: after the final kick, you can choose to have his leg follow through (unrealistic, but cool looking arc) or bounce off the way you have it now (realistic). Whichever you pick, make sure the other weight and mechanics of the scene follow suite.

Hope this helps! I'm working on some action scenes myself, and it's always good to get an outside opinion.

CallMeMarsh
09-11-2009, 05:48 AM
wow, that's a whole lot of GREAT advice! exactly why i posted it on here in the first place...most of the things you pointed out make a lot of sense considering the sequences i rotoscoped from. pretty much all the moves are from Tony Jaa's Ong Bak and considering his fighting style, muy thai, a lot of the moves kind of look choreographed in the first place so by just posing after his movements it can kind of start to look "set-up". so nonetheless these suggestions are great ones i can use to push the reality of the scene much much further...

i am going to work on it some more later tom. seeing as how i got caught up in the steelers game tonight so no work got done...

Thanks!

dbalmert
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Oh! The rotoscoping thing makes a lot of sense then. The weak punches, weird poses, telegraphed strikes etc. are typical of choreographed fight scenes.

If you want the scene to look choreographed (like these guys are performing) then it's fine to do things the way you did. But since you're animating, you can punch up the action and have them strike with the INTENT of hurting.

The cool spinning and stuff still looks good, but it needs gravity and more balance.

GOGO Steelers!

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.