PDA

View Full Version : noob - lighting my forest scene

mikefeil
08-08-2003, 04:46 AM
Hi,

I know it looks crap but I'm a noob.

Well I got GI_Joe going on this but the render times are just stupid..this one image took 6 hours on my 733p3 with 320 megs ram, gf2mx.

Anyway what are some better lighting techniques I could use...and how can I lower render times (I have used maya's render diagonostics) since I will probably need to make an animation with this forest.

Cheers peeps :)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/iso/legoracer/forest.jpg

lazzhar
08-08-2003, 08:26 PM
6 Hours? THere is nothing in this picture that desrves all this rendering time even with your machine.
For lighting, just start with a single light, take it away right or left the camera and make it cast shadows, then test render, then try to add extra fill light to get the other surfaces illuminiated. Or buy "Digital lighting and rendering"

Dearmad
08-15-2003, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry but WTF is this about? Lighting isn't the main problem as I see it.

You need to define the environment better- the black spaces, the sky(!?), the uh... starting sign? The... brown stick thing?

I know I'm in the dark, but that red -uh- blob in the background?

Looks offhand like you got ambiance turned way up on a lot of materials and/or just too many darn lights. Remove all but one. Start adding them in CAREFULLY!

Good to see you're reaching and pushing your skills, keep at it.

lazzhar
08-15-2003, 11:33 PM
I bet the reason of the rendering time of 6 hours is using that 3d fluids that represent clouds.
As Dearmad said, you should think in a better composition and try to set it in your 3d scene.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.