PDA

View Full Version : Building in Tri's?

Gibberish
08-08-2003, 03:56 AM
I was wondering if there are any tut's on modelling in tri's?

I am trying to work on a mod, and am using box modelling and trying to keep quads, like in high poly stuff, and then I end up putting on an optimise modifyer(sp?) which works ok but I think a better mesh from the begining would be better.

EricChadwick
08-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Box modeling is the way to go, for low-poly models and high-poly models. Never use Optimize, its really bad at optimizing, its really just there for legacy support. Keep your MeshSmooth modifier intact, and merely dial down the subdivisions...

Gibberish
08-12-2003, 05:45 AM
I am using Box modelling at the moment, no meshsmooth and still come up with too many polies :(
The models are for Warcraft 3, hence they have to be super low poly, between 300-500 range.

EricChadwick
08-12-2003, 03:27 PM
For me, box modeling is a quick way to get initial shape and form. Then for low-poly work I find I swap between Editable Mesh (better triangle and edge control) and Editable Poly (better modeling tools) as I refine the model.

At that point I don't try to keep quads or edge loops anymore, I just work on optimizing and keeping good form. Collapse and Target Weld are constant tools.

Optimize, MultiRes and the likes create too many long triangles and messy contours for me.

Here is the only polycounter I've found that counts just triangles... in Editable Poly or in Editable Mesh. All the others count a quad as one poly, instead of as two tris...

TriCounter
by Roger Hyde
http://www.scriptspot.com/rhyde/

The count shows up as a single number in the gray status bar.

shimra
08-13-2003, 01:26 AM
if you are asking about modeling poly by poly which i think you are the joan of arc tutorial has some modeling in tris. i lost the link to the sight but i know i saw a post earlier with someone having a questing on it so ask that person and i am sure they can help you.

hope this helps:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.