View Full Version : Max 2008 to Zbrush problem
09-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me out. I've doing some research before i decided to post somewhere my problem.
I'm experiencing this problem, i sculpted this head. Retopologyzed it. Exported to Max 2008, layed the UVs. But when i import it back to Zbrush, i get this wonky problem. My model seem to shrink in size and when i go up subd levels it all explodes.
I'm posting this screenshot to see if it could possibly help. I'm almost sure i had checked mrg and not grp in the exporting settings while exporting. But in any case i could run both if that is actually part of the issue.
If anyone can help me out, i'd be very grateful.
09-10-2009, 07:43 AM
I belive the problem is that the UV's have changed between your base level Zbrush tool and your imported Max mesh. Zbrush is reliant on UV's for its displacement mapping throughout the different sub D levels if the UV's change it will try and "map" the old displacment info to the new UV layout, hence the wierd explosion effect you see.
09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
It isn't a UV problem, you can import new Uv's from other packages. The problem is 3DS Max reordering your vert count. It is a huge pain in the ass because you haven't changed the geometry but somewhere along the line 3DS Max changes the order of your vertices.
Either wait for your Zbrush 3.5 upgrade or try laying out your UV's in another package. I've hade perfect transfers using Modo, Silo and sometimes Maya.
09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
But i have reasons to believe it's my model's fault not max's. I have tried to export my obj from zbrush and import it back right after, without running through any other apps and i got the same issue. I was told somewhere that this happens sometimes when your model becomes corrupted somewhere along the way because of a stray vertex or something like that. I don't quite see how that happened, my only guess is that somewhere along the retopology process something went wrong.
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah that does happen too sometimes. Have you tried "STL Check" Modifier in 3DS Max? It will check for some mesh errors.
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks for your help
STL check shows me open edges, but none of the others. but i assume those are the holes in my mesh, like mouth, eyes and neck. but i'll post it anyways
09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes looks like it is only showing holes. So what exactly are you doing? Just a straight import into Zbrush makes your mesh explode when subdividing? Another thing you could try is go into vertex subobject and use the "Remove Isolated Vertices" and "Remove Unused Map Verts" in the edit poly mesh.
Other than that you might have to retopo your mesh again, not sure what else it could be.
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
ok, so i'm back on this model trying to find out what is wrong.
i'll explain it better all that is happening. lets call the obj file exported directly from zbrush as zbrush_export and after that file goes through max it is going to be called max_export ok?
so i get zbrush_export, and import it back to the mesh that generated it and it gets me exploding mesh. if i store a target and switch it i get no more exploding mesh. or if i just load the zbrush_export.obj as a new tool i get no exploding mesh either.
if i get the max_export and load in as new tool, not exploding mesh. if i load it to the mesh that gave me zbrush_export i get exploding mesh even when i store morphs and switch it back.
I've tried running removing isolated vertices and removing unused map vertices and i got no luck out of it.
i'll try later today this approach this guy at pixolator was helping me with. but in the end i'll think i'll have to retopo this guy and see what happens.
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.