PDA

View Full Version : bad painting performance?

italohannes
09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
hi!

i'm having a heavy performance-drop when i try to paint. 1 layer with 1024 is ok, but with a second one it's impossible. using 2048-size is even worse. that's strange because when i'm sculpting it's not a problem on 13 million polygons. (by the way: i'm painting on level 0).

i'm running:
mudbox 2009 64bit
win xp 64bit, SP 2
intel quad-core 2,4GHz
8GB RAM
nvidia Geforce 8600GT
asus motherboard

is this a common problem?
has the performance been improved in mudbox 2010?

oglu
09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
you need a graphics card with 512 ram for mudbox...
cause mud is loading all your painting stuff into the pgu ram...

but its a bit strage you should be able to paint up to 10 layer or more in 1k with a 256mb card without a lag... installed newest driver..?

if you use the mudbox head is there also these lag..?

italohannes
09-08-2009, 09:50 PM
you need a graphics card with 512 ram for mudbox...
cause mud is loading all your painting stuff into the pgu ram...

but its a bit strage you should be able to paint up to 10 layer or more in 1k with a 256mb card without a lag... installed newest driver..?

if you use the mudbox head is there also these lag..?

the graphics card does have 512 ram. but when i create a second 2k layer it says there's not enough memory.

this lag doesn't occur on the standard-head. hmm.... must be something with my model. but on level 0 it's just 1800 polys...

robinb
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
You're painting on level 0, but have you got higher levels on the model? The geometry is stored on the card too, so it might be getting full with the higher levels of subdivision. Try deleting higher levels until you've just got the base level, then try painting again.

I've got a 512 meg card similar to yours and it's fine for painting as many layers as I need. I haven't used multiple maps or multiple UV areas though, just single maps in multiple channels at 2k and haven't had any problems with that.

italohannes
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
You're painting on level 0, but have you got higher levels on the model? The geometry is stored on the card too, so it might be getting full with the higher levels of subdivision. Try deleting higher levels until you've just got the base level, then try painting again.

I've got a 512 meg card similar to yours and it's fine for painting as many layers as I need. I haven't used multiple maps or multiple UV areas though, just single maps in multiple channels at 2k and haven't had any problems with that.

sorry, my description was misleading. i'm using 2 different models. the one with 13 million polygons is no problem. the other one with just 1800 polys makes the troubles.

i've reworked the model now, and did the uvw's new, but still it doesn't work! i also tried to convert the model in some ways. the STL-check in max shows no problems. neither the uvw's.

i really don't know where to start here.... maybe i have to paint the model in traditional ways.

robinb
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
That sounds very odd. Can we see the UV layout? It might be as simple as the UVs touching the borders or overlapping somewhere (which usually causes artifacts, but might be causing this). But if you've redone them that doesn't seem as likely.

Daemonecles
09-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Well I found that the painting is quite slow on certain video cards...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.autodesk.com%2Fus%2Fqualcharts%2F2009%2FMudbox2009_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf&ei=idiuStirE9yc8QaOx43HCA&rct=j&q=supported+video+cards+mudbox+painting&usg=AFQjCNFfiXM_GXiVXxJt7TPNd7CHS-AU_Q
that's the approved list for video card stuff but yours obviously isn't on there since it's not a workstation card. It's possible that it might just be an insufficient hardware issue. The UVs wouldn't lead to slow painting unless you were just utterly terrible and it was painting on multiple pieces at once but you'd have come across more issues than just that.

italohannes
09-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Well I found that the painting is quite slow on certain video cards...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.autodesk.com%2Fus%2Fqualcharts%2F2009%2FMudbox2009_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf&ei=idiuStirE9yc8QaOx43HCA&rct=j&q=supported+video+cards+mudbox+painting&usg=AFQjCNFfiXM_GXiVXxJt7TPNd7CHS-AU_Q
that's the approved list for video card stuff but yours obviously isn't on there since it's not a workstation card. It's possible that it might just be an insufficient hardware issue. The UVs wouldn't lead to slow painting unless you were just utterly terrible and it was painting on multiple pieces at once but you'd have come across more issues than just that.
thanks for your replies!

here's my uv-layout. no borders are touching.

InfernalDarkness
09-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I also don't believe it's a GPU-RAM issue. My Quadro here at work only has 256MB, and I can paint 2K textures on level 6 models just fine...

What drivers are you using currently?

(Right-click desktop, select "Nvidia Control Panel", then click "System Information" on the very bottom left...)

I'm on 186.35, Win7-specific drivers. I believe I'm on 190.38 at home on my Geforce 7950GT, also Win7-specific drivers... Hope that helps?

italohannes
09-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I also don't believe it's a GPU-RAM issue. My Quadro here at work only has 256MB, and I can paint 2K textures on level 6 models just fine...

What drivers are you using currently?

(Right-click desktop, select "Nvidia Control Panel", then click "System Information" on the very bottom left...)

I'm on 186.35, Win7-specific drivers. I believe I'm on 190.38 at home on my Geforce 7950GT, also Win7-specific drivers... Hope that helps?
of course i'm using the latest driver (190.62). also some previous versions didn't work. i'm running winXP 64, SP2).

InfernalDarkness
09-24-2009, 01:54 AM
That certainly is the newest and latest driver, even certified and all that. Next question... What do your Nvidia per-application settings look like for Mudbox?

I don't think I've had to tweak mine before, but also using a different OS as well as a different GPU. Perhaps some changes to the Mudbox settings might fix the problem?

Here's how mine look for Maya. Maybe tweak them one at a time, or just the texture-related settings?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4516/nvidiamayaweb.jpg

Of course, Maya and Mud have totally different viewport programming behind them. Just tossing ideas at you, and hope one of them helps.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2009, 01:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.