PDA

View Full Version : Maya MR: Renders once at 12 sec a frame, then 50 seconds on re-render of same frame

Wes_Brown
09-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey guys. Have you ever heard of this happening? Maybe it sounds like some kind of memory leak but I don't see anything going on with my system. Basically, when I first open a file and render into the render view, everything goes according to plan and the render finishes in 12 seconds. When I re-render the exact same frame, the SECOND time it takes 50 seconds to finish the render instead of 12! The render time stays slow until I reboot maya and re-render. I have PLENTY of ram and the machine is an 8 core Mac running Maya 2009.

This isn't the first time this happened.

In fact, it kind of seems to be the norm with MR with more than one or two file-based textures and I am wondering what is going on. I am not using and FG or GI, just soft-ray-traced shadows. Is there some optimization setting I am missing? I know sometimes if textures are really large or 300 dpi this happens, but I double checked and everything is at 72 dpi with a mix of Tga's and jpegs with a max dimension of 1500 in any direction. BTW, I don't THINK it happens when you batch render, but I need to check.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Wes

bibek_3d
09-09-2009, 08:09 AM
have tried converting the texture maps to .map format ?

Wes_Brown
09-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Hmmm. I haven't tried .map files yet. I see online that there are several ways to convert: through the hypershade, a stand-alone program and a photoshop plugin. Which method do you recommend to generate the .map files?

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2009, 12:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.