PDA

View Full Version : The Mill creates Radiohead's latest Music Vid

SheepFactory
08-07-2003, 07:18 PM
http://www.mill.co.uk/engage_search_articles.php?id=1331

according to the article they used massive for the crowd scenes. The facial animation is pretty good too.

Byla
08-08-2003, 04:47 AM
I just love Mills work. Fantastic!

hope to see this video as soon as possible

roger
08-08-2003, 06:59 AM
I saw this at Sigg.
It's a great video!
The Mill has many great artists working there! :thumbsup:

AnimBot
08-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Ooh more Radiohead news! Is the video already in rotation?

Marc Andreoli
08-08-2003, 07:28 AM
oh look, a city full of poser zombies ! :D

I love radiohead, and I really like this video. The only thing that bothers is a bit is thom yorke's facial animation. His mouth and eyes are really nicely animated, but his cheeks are very 'stiff', especially in the first part of the video. Not sure if it is intentional or not, I found it a bit distracting.

Other than that, very inspirational... I am going to blow up a building right now :applause:

jason-slab
08-08-2003, 08:16 AM
saw it yesterday on m-tv, really like the style, the faceted look.
the way his face changes from high to low poly and back is really cool. good camera work 2

d/loading it right now, this one is going staight into my "the_mill" folder:D

|jason

chudofsinister
08-08-2003, 09:04 AM
freakin awsome, I am really digging this trend of going back 10 15 years ago and recreating that nostalgic feel with more modern technology and polish. I saw a revamp someone had done of Max Headroom, totally cool. By the way saw the new DVD in the store today but did not pick it up. Yet.

headengine
08-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Nice - dig that it's gray, nice aesthetic. And the music is great... :)

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
08-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Guys you can watch the full video from the link on the left when you go to the page.

and yeah the 7 tv commercials dvd rocks , watched it like 400 times so far :)

Ali

mattregnier
08-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Why would they go to all the trouble to scan in his facial data for a high-res mesh, and then throw a low-poly shader on it? It just doesn't make sense to me. Other than just to say you can do it, or was there some technical aspect to it that I'm just missing...

Signal2Noise
08-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
...and yeah the 7 tv commercials dvd rocks , watched it like 400 times so far :)

Ali

How long is the DVD? Is it just 7 videos or...?

chudofsinister
08-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Don't know if tis the right subject. But if you guys have 7 Television commericials, you will probably dig Meeting People is Easy. Its about 2 hours long and its alot of concert stuff and a few unreleased songs, at least they were unreleased when it came out.

krisr
08-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Mostly done in XSI too! From the SoftImage list-server:

xsi was used for modeling (characters and buildings) and animation. from what i understand, the characters you see in the foreground are animated in xsi using one of jordi's *almost patented* techniques for getting lots of characters moving in an incredibly realistic way. he experimented with massive (who wouldn't, given the chance? ;) and i think those characters appear solely in the background. xsi was also used to create the mesh reduction operator, giving the video it's unique look.

i believe that thom york's performance was also done in xsi.

maya was used for the generation of the building animation (using rigid body dynamics), but re-imported into xsi for final rendering. i was told that maya was unable to render these sequences using mental ray--something that xsi did easily. all rendering, i would think, was done in xsi.

dharmabum
08-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Wow, really interesting concept. I can't really say it was executed very well. It looked really wierd at times. Like as if his head was motionacaptured and the body was just a couple of keys. It made me wonder why that happens instead of enjoying the video. My opinion though.

chips__
08-10-2003, 05:24 PM
it's supposed to be all mocap according to jordi, and i think most of the camerawork was done by the director in lightwave. talk abut mixing formats :D

SDIT
08-11-2003, 06:39 AM
that was awesome.... i love the mill

olliev
08-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Is it available in web? Would like to see it!

danylyon
08-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by olliev
Is it available in web? Would like to see it!

Go to the page wich is linked at sheep vactorys post.. then click on "To view commercial click here".. That loads up a page with the quicktime.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.