PDA

View Full Version : compression for web

adoubleu
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I'm building a webpage to show my demo reel and am having trouble on getting my reel in high quality but small enough size for web. What is my best option to acheive this? I've read one option would be to render out a QT animation compression from after effects and then convert to h.264 with QT Pro. What are my other options? What is a file size suitable for the web? My reel is 1min45s long. Any help / suggestions greatly appreciated.

DanBroughton
09-11-2009, 09:34 PM
H.264 is probably the best option but you could also try .flv (flash), handbreak is a clever little encoder that does loads of formats and is worth having a play with. I tend to do video at 512x288 which is half size pal square pixel at a data rate of 512kb for video and 128kb for sound, using 25fps. These settings give me a nice quality playback. If you want a larger image it would probably be best to change frame rate to 15fps. so as to not lower the picture quality but the best thing is to experiment.

Hope this helps.

m|3
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree that h.264 is an excellent choice for good quality/small size format... in my experience though, not everyone has that codec installed in their browser.

I'd advise to go with a flash format (.flv) OR mpg 1 if you will only have 1 link to the reel.

In answer to your questions, try to limit your file size to 10mb or less for a 320x240px reel. For a larger size, you need to ask yourself if your intended target audience has the bandwidth to view your (larger file size) reel quickly or are willing to wait for the reel to download/stream.

You can render the high quality file out from AE and then use Sorenson Squeeze, Apple Compressor or Cleaner to convert to the flv/mpg/h.264 file.

Having two viewing options (1 quicktime, 1 flv) is not a bad solution either. Another solution, is to upload your reel to Vimeo and then use one of their embed links to insert into your webpage.

adoubleu
09-15-2009, 02:02 AM
thanks for the replies..
i ended up rendering out my reel in 'animation' compression and then compressing in h.264 with qt pro. worked quite well....136MB down to 12MB and still in reasonable quality. will also embed a vimeo link as well. cheers for the advice.

CGTalk Moderation
09-15-2009, 02:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.