PDA

View Full Version : new reel....WIP

claytondouglas
09-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi all
Havent posted in awhile. Sigh...Im still workin out some bugs...theres a weird artifacting thing goin on....May be as good as I can get it. Music too gloomy? I like the song....but not sure its good for a reel....or does it matter

http://claytondouglas.cgsociety.org/gallery/ (http://claytondouglas.cgsociety.org/gallery/)

Ive got some breakdowns in there but they are minimal....I plan on doing something when I build my own website to provide better breakdown info(separate of the reel, but obvious enough not to be missed or over looked). I wanted to show all my best work....but not go over 2 minutes. Didnt leave much time for breakdowns.

Let me know whatcha think.....

sundialsvc4
09-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Very good reel.

Chop the last five seconds ... the joke don't work. It doesn't remotely belong there.

Secure a domain-name for yourself even if that domain's email forwards to (spam-free-thank-god) GMail. Don't know if I caught a telephone-number and an indication of your city/time-zone.

During the first sixty seconds or so of the reel, I had a very, very clear sense of "where it was going." Those product transitions were creative and perfectly executed. Mid-stream I felt that there was a little less "direction" and not quite-so-much visual continuity ... made noticeable (and in a purely relative way) because it was so very strong up to that point.

You have done a lot of very interesting things and you have done them very well, but it might well be the case that you could re-arrange that presentation based on, say, similarities or "a common thread between" one client and the next ... or between the work products that you did for each of them. Once the viewer identifies with any one of the "lures" that you are presenting to him, it's always good that the next lure looks like it really belongs there, and the next lure and perhaps also the next. (But no more than three.)

The music definitely works and I feel that the breakdowns as-is are quite workable. What you need to do next is to get any simple site and e-mail forwarding operational and deployed ... whether or not it's "what you dream of." Your reel needs to include that information. Once it does, "ship it." This reel is easily good enough that it needs to be "on the road, selling."

claytondouglas
09-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Very good reel.

Chop the last five seconds ... the joke don't work. It doesn't remotely belong there.

Secure a domain-name for yourself even if that domain's email forwards to (spam-free-thank-god) GMail. Don't know if I caught a telephone-number and an indication of your city/time-zone.

During the first sixty seconds or so of the reel, I had a very, very clear sense of "where it was going." Those product transitions were creative and perfectly executed. Mid-stream I felt that there was a little less "direction" and not quite-so-much visual continuity ... made noticeable (and in a purely relative way) because it was so very strong up to that point.

You have done a lot of very interesting things and you have done them very well, but it might well be the case that you could re-arrange that presentation based on, say, similarities or "a common thread between" one client and the next ... or between the work products that you did for each of them. Once the viewer identifies with any one of the "lures" that you are presenting to him, it's always good that the next lure looks like it really belongs there, and the next lure and perhaps also the next. (But no more than three.)

The music definitely works and I feel that the breakdowns as-is are quite workable. What you need to do next is to get any simple site and e-mail forwarding operational and deployed ... whether or not it's "what you dream of." Your reel needs to include that information. Once it does, "ship it." This reel is easily good enough that it needs to be "on the road, selling."

Hi Sundial
I just realised that my Motion Graphics reel comes up with the supplied link. There are 2 reels in there and funny enough, your critique works for both....which one did you view?
I just want to be sure because you gave me such a thorough critique...and thanks for that by the way. Either way, I hear you on the continuity thing...i mustve re-edited those reels 3 dozen times...but I will take your advice to heart and post when I have changed it around.
here are separate links to both of my reels

MotionGraphicsReel
http://claytondouglas.cgsociety.org/gallery/804445

VFXReel
http://claytondouglas.cgsociety.org/gallery/804147

As far as the domain name....Indeed you are correct, but I am actually in the process of overhauling it. I havent touched it in 4 years and it looks like s@#t.
www.claytondouglas.com

Im not officially job shopping yet so I have a bit of time.....(cross your fingers)
thanks again!
C

sundialsvc4
09-24-2009, 04:36 AM
The "motion graphics" reel is the one that I reviewed.

The other one ... well-l-l-l... Ahem. I would quite frankly scrap it and completely redo the edit. (Sorry.) It has no life at all. The very short repetitive sound-loop began to grate on my nerves less than halfway through the picture. And the pace of the second reel, compared to the first, was non-existent.

I do not intend for those written-words to feel like a ton o' bricks. Written words tend to have that consequence.

I would judge that the most important thing which the second reel is intended to convey is the skill of technical breakdowns, e.g. of the football scene. If this be so, then it must do so clearly and unhurriedly. It takes several seconds to even comprehend that "you're up to something," and by the time that's happened, you're apparently "done." Each presentation needs to go like this:
"Heads up! Something's about to happen!" The finished "real" shot ... which becomes "fake." Pause. (Show me what you're about to show me...) One at a time, "show me something new." Then, return to home base. Now, second base. Then home. Now, third. Home. In the end, recap what you just showed me. "Breathe... breathe... now we're gonna do it again."
Finally, I think that it is very important that the two reels must not share any material. When they do, the second robs from the first.

Your motion-graphics reel is very strong indeed. Tweak it slightly and get it on the road, selling.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2009, 04:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.