PDA

View Full Version : Chimpanzee Rigging

Blanks
09-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi, my Chimpanzees finally ready to be rigged and I've decided to post my progress here. If I could get some tips from experienced people that would be great. I think I should treat this as a biped rather than a quadruped but if anybody disagrees please let me know. At first I will focus on the bone rig and once that is finished I will see what areas need muscle(probably arms and abdominal area). I'm planning on doing the face with bones awell as the body and would like to be able to save poses. I may write a tool for practice purposes but at the moment I'm unsure of the best way to reference the bones. If anybody has any suggestions, again, please let me know.

Heres a pic of the model. I'm not sure how well the arm typology will deform at the moment but I wanted to experiment. We'll see how it goes.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9285/chimpwirepers.jpg

Blanks
09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Forgot to mention that I am using 3dsMax

Leffler
09-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I think you will get some problems with the forearms since the edgeflow is "twisting" there if you understand what I mean, down towards the hands. I would suggest changing the pose before rigging, at least I would have.

Piflik
09-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Nah...the forearm twist is good. The upper arm could have some issues, but nothing too severe. I have more doubts with the hips. There you might get some strange behavior.

Blanks
09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi thanks for your reply. I agree with you about the forearm but to be honest this is probably impossible to avoid due to the way the arm twists. When the arm twists for the palms to face inwards the edges should flow straight (hopefully). In think its a personal decision and it depends on if you want it to twist on palms facing out or palms facing back.

In what position would you suggest for me to pose it in. I was thinking of re-posing but then thought that the arms and legs are almost in a good half way positions for corrective shapes and it should reduce deformation problems in either direction. Anyway I'm no expert so if you think it will cause problems if I don't re-pose I'll re-pose.

Blanks
09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Could you elaborate on the hip problems please. I think its hard sometimes hard deciding whether to make edges follow the muscle anatomy accurately or give some leeway for better deformations. hmmm hope that made sense. Obviously the main goal is good deformations.haha

Piflik
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I am a little bit concerned on how htese loops changing direction will turn out when rigged...could be completely fine, but could also be really strange...

Blanks
09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
yeah it is going to be a problem i think. Im going to add some extra loops to help crease where the leg meets the belly.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.