PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q (apologies)

niklmauz
05-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Heya,

I'm a total newbie to texturing and very eager to learn, but I have a question. From tutorials I've read on the net, it seems that the way you get a template for painting textures on to is to render every area of the model as a wireframe looking straight on at it as a .bmp in your 3d prog (I'm using Max) and then transport them over to photoshop, piece em all together on one canvas and start painting your textures over the top. Now I'm hoping I've missed something, because this method seems fairly crude. Is there a simpler and more accurate way of doing it (like using an unwrap tool and saving that picture)? Any info would be gratefully received. Sorry if this is a really obvious question.

Ta.

BoomRat
05-14-2002, 09:38 PM
There is a much easier way to make UV maps.

Add a UV unwrap modifier to selected parts and then edit in UVW editor.

As an aside, if you're really interested in this stuff, get a book titled "Modeling a Character in 3DS Max" by Paul Steed. Great book takes you through the creation and texturing process.

Ivars
05-14-2002, 10:31 PM
In max get the plugin "texporter"
to make a snapshot of your unwraped UV:s. Save it and paint in PS (or whatever software you use)

Remember that for a game-engine your texture must be quadratic and (dunno the correct term for it but....) either 64x64, 128x128, 512x512, 1024x1024 and so on.....

niklmauz
05-15-2002, 10:23 AM
I downloaded Texporter and it looks very useful. Thanks for the advice.

SeanW
05-15-2002, 11:14 AM
Textporter is good and all but its not going to help quite yet untill you have mapped your model. This is how I do it, this is the quick explination. Ok so your model is done ready to be textured
1. You need to "ID" your model. Make a multisub material in the material editor and assign it to your object. Assign different colors to the different id's within the multisub material. You make different colors so when you start to id your model you can see the ids separate from each other.
2. ID your model. Go to edit mesh. Select the polys you want to be an ID (front half of the face) hit a id number and hit enter. You assigned your first id and it should also be the same color as the one you assigned to your multi sub. Continue with the whole model untill you have all the geometry assigned to an id
3. Make your projections. Go to mesh select, you do this because you can select your id's easily. Select the first id, the polys will highlight, click UVW Map which is under modifiers, you should make this a hot key your going to use it a lot. Then select the type of projection, I tend to only use planar and cylindrical. Line up your projection to how you want it, hitting Fit seems to work most of the time and then hit UVW unwrap. You then can go to edit, this will bring up a window with your projection on it. Take your projection and throw it anywhere outside the grey square they give you as a guide. You do this because you dont want your next projection to poject a new ID on top of the one you just did. Repeat this step untill you have every ID projected.
4. Now you might be wondering where the hell are all the projections at that I just did. The reason you cant see it is because you haven colapsed your stack yet. So colapse your stack, click uvwmap again and all your projections should be there. What you need to do know is arrange them all in a box format, to see what this might look like check out my thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5881 this is where textporter comes in. Or you can do a print screen but that way is really gimpy, kinda like this process :)
5. now you want to see your map on your model.. make a new material/bitmap and assign your texture you made using what you got from textporter and apply it to your guy, everything should magically show up where it should, dont know why but it just works.
I hope this helps you a little, Steed likes to break up his geometry and do one projection. This is another way, I'm not too technical and this is nice and easy for me. Hope this helps you.

Ivars
05-15-2002, 08:12 PM
So Ill share my technique with you. Im quite sure it sucks (BIG TIME) Ive only used MAX for 2 months and I must say mapping in MAX is a pain.

Anyways....

1. (assuming youre finished with your model) Select the faces for your first projection, and add MeshSelect modifier, set it to polygon level.

2. Add UVWmap modifier, and fit it as good as possible, wether cylindical, planar or whatever.

3. Add UVWunwrap, and click edit.

4. Assign a checker texture to your model, so you easiely can see where the UV:s are distorted.

5. Tweak your projection, so there is minimal distortion. And move the projection out of the square. Place it anywhere you want.

6. Collaps your stack.

7. Do the same procedure with all your projections, try keep down the number of projections. Finding a balance between distortion and number of pieces is an important issue.

8. Collaps your stack and add a UVWunwrap. Opitmize your UV:space, figuring out what parts needs most space, such as the head, or detailed areas. What projections can share UV space (mirror arms, legs and such) Weld pieces together, chest and back for example and place your projections in the square.

9. Collaps your stack, and use texporter!

10. Paint a beautifull texture:)

11. Replace the checkered material with one containing your texture. Voila! Done.

Hope you could make something out of it :hmm:

CADster
05-15-2002, 08:24 PM
yea, i use a checkerboard texture as a temp. texture as well.

about the only thing i do different is i add the texture map in the object level, then in subobject i select parts and give it UVW mapping. then us UVunwrap to move/scale/mirror, whatever the faces around.

i made a crappy tutorial for a friend .... its the way i do it, not the way the MAX book says to (i think the MAX book says to use IDs .. as stated by SeanW)

http://www.digitalrides.com/scir_texture.html

CADster

Ivars
05-15-2002, 11:21 PM
hmmmm, I cant really see where that is different from my tech.

CADster
05-16-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Ivars
hmmmm, I cant really see where that is different from my tech.

its not i guess, i just had it in html form with some pics (your not thinking i took it from you ? ... i did not, we just use the same technique) . in Game Developer a while back UV mapping was a main artical ... i was shocked when the arthor spent a full paragraph telling readers NOT to UV map in this way, but to use IDs. the story went on about speed being the issue but i can rip a model down pretty fast..... packing the UV takes longer, but thats only cause i never leave it alone ;)

CADster

SeanW
05-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Im curious if you run into problems by not being to tell if you have polys left over to map? I'm sure you've done it so many times that you have a nice flow going but is there a way to select what is left over if you happend to miss a couple of polys. I'm getting more and more comfortable every time I do it but I just find it easier keep track of especially if I have a model that has a lot of unwraps.

Ivars
05-16-2002, 05:43 PM
One way to solve that is to map everything first. And if you missed a spot you will see the projections in the unwrap.

CADster
05-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SeanW
Im curious if you run into problems by not being to tell if you have polys left over to map?

this does not happen to me (well, i use to do this all the time but i was doing the old morph target way.. ala max 2.5.. i no longer do that).

when I am in sub-object and I've select the faces, and applied UV and tweaked in UVunwrap... i will then hide them ... they are no longer on screen. so, when all my mapping is done a quick spin around the model will let me see if anything was not mapped.

I also go into display config (or whatever its called) and selct the highlight selected faces option .

CADster

SeanW
05-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Ohh I didnt even think about hiding polys. I'll have to try that on my next model. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.