PDA

View Full Version : update on John Boorman Wizard of OZ

RobertoOrtiz
09-04-2009, 02:47 PM
"The Lord of the Rings may have slipped through his grasp, but instead, the English director went on to make Deliverance (1972), Zardoz (1974), Excalibur (1981) and The Emerald Forest (1985) – all of which gave vent to his appetite for epic adventure. Now, Boorman , 76, is just about to start work on his first animated feature, aw, $25m version of another much loved fantasy, The Wizard of Oz."

John Boorman - A very English visionary is back (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/john-boorman--a-very-english-visionary-is-back-1774989.html)

Limbus
09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Messing with the Wizzard of Oz is just wrong. I whish people would just work on new material and leave the old classics alone.

inguatu
09-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Messing with the Wizzard of Oz is just wrong. I whish people would just work on new material and leave the old classics alone.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Also, the story of Wizard of Oz has been redone more than once so one more won't kill anyone.

Steamcore
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Technically Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Cinderalla, etc. all old fables. You can still make good films from old material!

Limbus
09-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Technically Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Cinderalla, etc. all old fables. You can still make good films from old material!

Maybe you don't know it but Oz was made into a great film already.

mushroomgod
09-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Maybe you don't know it but Oz was made into a great film already.

Iv not read the Wizard of Oz, but the book (apparently) is very different from the film. So I suppose it comes down to if he is remaking the film, or making an adaptation of the book.

Layer01
09-07-2009, 09:23 AM
What everyone is failing to notice is that this guy made Zardoz :argh:
That is a film of infinite Lolz and retardedness, a film so stupid and ludicrous that it transcends time and space into a new dimension of humour.

Also this news is made more hilarious when you know the "twist" within Zardoz..
wi-zard-of-oz DUN DUN DUN!

Mahlon
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
But he also made Excalibur -- an excellent film.

Mahlon

aghill
09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
In this case I personally dont really feel too offended by this news. I think this could turn out pretty good. I think the tale of the Wizard of Oz is a good story, but the old movie is kinda outdated, compared to modern standard movie-tales (accept it or not, but medium and "visual quality" does count).

Bringing this in a new format for the children outthere could be good.

BColbourn
09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
is 25m really enough for an animated film these days?

Ilive
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
is 25m really enough for an animated film these days?

Depends on whose doing the movie and where.
15 Million got you Pan's Labryinth
20 Million gets you Kung Fu Hustle
34 Million gets you TMNT
20 Million gets you Gwoemul

List goes on and on.

Movies usually cost 100 + millions if you are using name actors who themselves cost 2-20 Million a movie.

GEt some no names but who are great actors and you'll be able to get the movie done at a descent cost.

In fact for 25 million you can use
1 Million for sound and music
1 million for actors.
1 million for a good render farm
Find 20 of the greatest modellers and put them to work for a year with 2 million churning out the models for a year.
Find 10 riggers and pay them 1 million
Find 20 texture guys and let them split a million for 6 months of rigging work.
I mean you can really break it down and pay people good. You just need to find good people.

Avoid Hollywood and you avoid the unions and paying execs who get paid to do nothing more than fuddle with the story.

There is so much fat you can trim off a production that you can get it down to a reasonable price.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.